United finally relents, begins waiving award redeposit fees
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 4/6/20: United is now waiving award redeposit fees for all members for the rest of 2020, as long as flights are canceled more than 30 days before departure.
The major U.S. airlines tend to roll out consistent policies when it comes to change-fee waivers, elite qualification and — most recently — dealing with coronavirus, both in the airports and onboard. This time around, though, United Airlines has been especially unforgiving, leading to an unfriendly “flexible” booking policy and a firm take on award redeposit fees.
Well, we just got a bit of good news — the carrier has finally relaxed its award redeposit policy. According to a spokesperson:
“United is waiving redeposit fees for MileagePlus award travel scheduled through May 31. Customers continue to have the flexibility to change award travel without incurring a fee, or cancel award travel and retain the value of their ticket as a credit towards future travel.”
Typically, general members must pay $125 to redeposit miles when canceling an award within 60 days of departure, though this is discounted or waived for United Premier elite members. Silver travelers pay $100, Gold members pay $75 and Platinum members pay $50, while the fee is waived entirely for Premier 1K and Global Services members. Fortunately, that redeposit fee will now be waived for all customers with travel scheduled through May 31, giving MileagePlus members the ability to cancel or change their awards without penalty. If you recently paid a redeposit fee, I wouldn’t expect a refund at this point — though it never hurts to ask.
The new policy matches those already in place at American Airlines, Delta and other carriers, as outlined in more detail here. Meanwhile, if you’re scheduled to travel after May 31, there’s always a chance the redeposit waiver could be extended — hopefully, when the time comes, without a lengthy delay.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees