United finally relents, begins waiving award redeposit fees
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 4/6/20: United is now waiving award redeposit fees for all members for the rest of 2020, as long as flights are canceled more than 30 days before departure.
The major U.S. airlines tend to roll out consistent policies when it comes to change-fee waivers, elite qualification and — most recently — dealing with coronavirus, both in the airports and onboard. This time around, though, United Airlines has been especially unforgiving, leading to an unfriendly “flexible” booking policy and a firm take on award redeposit fees.
Well, we just got a bit of good news — the carrier has finally relaxed its award redeposit policy. According to a spokesperson:
“United is waiving redeposit fees for MileagePlus award travel scheduled through May 31. Customers continue to have the flexibility to change award travel without incurring a fee, or cancel award travel and retain the value of their ticket as a credit towards future travel.”
Typically, general members must pay $125 to redeposit miles when canceling an award within 60 days of departure, though this is discounted or waived for United Premier elite members. Silver travelers pay $100, Gold members pay $75 and Platinum members pay $50, while the fee is waived entirely for Premier 1K and Global Services members. Fortunately, that redeposit fee will now be waived for all customers with travel scheduled through May 31, giving MileagePlus members the ability to cancel or change their awards without penalty. If you recently paid a redeposit fee, I wouldn’t expect a refund at this point — though it never hurts to ask.
The new policy matches those already in place at American Airlines, Delta and other carriers, as outlined in more detail here. Meanwhile, if you’re scheduled to travel after May 31, there’s always a chance the redeposit waiver could be extended — hopefully, when the time comes, without a lengthy delay.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.