United is really paying a guy to hold up a ‘thank you’ sign
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I fly a lot. Not as much as some on our team at TPG but I’m an “above average” traveler with lots of domestic “butt in seat” miles.
Yet, as I settled into my seat Wednesday morning for my transcontinental flight home, I saw something very unique and very strange.
One of the United Airlines ramp agents was pacing back and forth outside, from the front to the back of the plane, holding a giant sign saying: “THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING UNITED.”
I’d already had two cups of coffee but couldn’t believe my eyes. Was this a high school pep rally? Maybe somebody at United knew that I have elite status on American and Delta and wanted to woo me away? Again, was I dreaming?
For more TPG news, deals and tips delivered each morning to your inbox, subscribe to our daily newsletter.
Then the purser got on the public address system and told those passengers in the window seats to look outside, that United had a special message for them. Ok, this was a thing.
On Tuesday, Delta announced that it was extending elite status for another year. On Wednesday, United gave me a guy with a sign.
Apparently this is a new campaign this month by the airline to thank customers. A bit of surprise and delight.
A source, who was not authorized to speak with media, told TPG that United kicked off the campaign in July to let customers to know how much it cares and appreciates their business.
Each hub has a flight picked out for the month where ramp agents hold up the signs. In Los Angeles, it was Flight 514 to JFK.
That makes sense since United has made a splashy return to JFK and it is one of the most-profitable routes in the country. My plane was the popular “high-J” 767-300 — a TPG favorite for its ample number of Polaris seats.
Plus, we now had a sign! It was almost like how airline employees in Japan give a modest bow to departing aircraft — almost.
I would have been upset if the flight was late, but we pushed back five minutes ahead of schedule. So no complaints there.
Moments earlier, as I was looking out the window at the sign, I started to wonder if Rhapsody in Blue would play. And like somebody was reading my mind, the safety video kicked off with that Gershwin classic.
Featured photo by Scott Mayerowitz/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees