United Begins Selling Boutique Air Flights to Telluride Airport (TEX)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 8/28/18: United has confirmed that Boutique Air flights earn miles in the MileagePlus program. Additionally, you’ll be able to redeem miles for these flights to TEX, however awards aren’t appearing just yet. See this page for current earning rates.
I learned a new airport code today! It’s TEX, and while Google Flights will probably insist that you must be trying to type “Texas” in the destination field, TEX is in fact code for Telluride Regional Airport, a tiny field just six miles from Telluride (and its namesake ski area) in Colorado. With an elevation of 9,078 feet, TEX also happens to be the highest airport in North America with commercial service.
That commercial service is operated by the one and only Boutique Air, which is launching nonstop flights to Denver (DEN) beginning Wednesday, August 29, 2018. The new flights will significantly cut down on travel time, bringing the 90-minute commute from Montrose Regional Airport (MTJ) down to just 10 minutes.
Boutique operates a small fleet of Pilatus PC-12 turboprops — inside, they resemble a light private jet, with seating for just eight people.
Interestingly, Boutique Air is partnering with United on this launch — you can even pair TEX flights with an itinerary connecting in Denver. While they aren’t yet appearing in Google Flights, you can find DEN-TEX legs on United’s site.
Additionally, according to a press release, “Passengers on Boutique Air flights can earn miles and redeem miles for flights through the United MileagePlus frequent flyer program.” I haven’t been able to find awards either online or via United’s phone agents, however, so I’ve reached out to the airline to confirm. You can book paid itineraries beginning today, though.
As you might expect, these connecting itineraries don’t come cheap — at first I figured that had more to do with Boutique’s fares, considering the same round-trip flights between New York (LGA) and Denver were pricing at $256.
Boutique’s selling its own flights for $294 round-trip, however — as a result, you’ll pay $550 when booking these same flights separately, a savings of $257 over United’s single-itinerary price.
Pricing discrepancies apart, this is an exciting development. I’m especially intrigued by the prospect of redeeming United miles to book a seat on Boutique Air’s flight to TEX, but redemption levels and award availability have yet to be confirmed. Still, with reasonable fares from Denver, I could definitely justify spending $300 for the opportunity to avoid a 13-hour round-trip drive after arriving at DEN, as I’m sure could many other skiers this coming winter season.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees