This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 8/28/18: United has confirmed that Boutique Air flights earn miles in the MileagePlus program. Additionally, you’ll be able to redeem miles for these flights to TEX, however awards aren’t appearing just yet. See this page for current earning rates.
I learned a new airport code today! It’s TEX, and while Google Flights will probably insist that you must be trying to type “Texas” in the destination field, TEX is in fact code for Telluride Regional Airport, a tiny field just six miles from Telluride (and its namesake ski area) in Colorado. With an elevation of 9,078 feet, TEX also happens to be the highest airport in North America with commercial service.
That commercial service is operated by the one and only Boutique Air, which is launching nonstop flights to Denver (DEN) beginning Wednesday, August 29, 2018. The new flights will significantly cut down on travel time, bringing the 90-minute commute from Montrose Regional Airport (MTJ) down to just 10 minutes.
Boutique operates a small fleet of Pilatus PC-12 turboprops — inside, they resemble a light private jet, with seating for just eight people.
Interestingly, Boutique Air is partnering with United on this launch — you can even pair TEX flights with an itinerary connecting in Denver. While they aren’t yet appearing in Google Flights, you can find DEN-TEX legs on United’s site.
Additionally, according to a press release, “Passengers on Boutique Air flights can earn miles and redeem miles for flights through the United MileagePlus frequent flyer program.” I haven’t been able to find awards either online or via United’s phone agents, however, so I’ve reached out to the airline to confirm. You can book paid itineraries beginning today, though.
As you might expect, these connecting itineraries don’t come cheap — at first I figured that had more to do with Boutique’s fares, considering the same round-trip flights between New York (LGA) and Denver were pricing at $256.
Boutique’s selling its own flights for $294 round-trip, however — as a result, you’ll pay $550 when booking these same flights separately, a savings of $257 over United’s single-itinerary price.
Pricing discrepancies apart, this is an exciting development. I’m especially intrigued by the prospect of redeeming United miles to book a seat on Boutique Air’s flight to TEX, but redemption levels and award availability have yet to be confirmed. Still, with reasonable fares from Denver, I could definitely justify spending $300 for the opportunity to avoid a 13-hour round-trip drive after arriving at DEN, as I’m sure could many other skiers this coming winter season.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees