United Tests New Streamlined Boarding Process at ORD, DEN and LAX
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United’s testing a new method of boarding – but for real this time.
Earlier this year, United announced its new plans to streamline the dreaded boarding process by implementing a few efficiency tactics, going from the current five-lane boarding system, which was implemented in 2012, to two lanes, and using monitors to show which group is up. After an initial trial in Cleveland (CLE) last year, the current pilot airports are Chicago (ORD), Denver (DEN) and Los Angeles (LAX), with more airports to follow later this summer.
The new procedure calls for groups 1 and 2 to continue boarding through their respective lanes, but then sends groups 3, 4 and 5 to board through Lane 2 while groups 1 and 2 to continue boarding through Lane 1, allowing premium passengers continued priority access while streamlining the process for all other passengers. Unfortunately, basic economy passengers will continue to wait at the very end of the line for group 5 to be called.
Once all priority passengers have boarded, United also hopes to be able to get window seat passengers seated first, before boarding center and aisle seat passengers. The airline has also implemented text alerts for travelers on certain flights to notify them when boarding begins.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees