United changes the way you’ll get your free snacks
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Who doesn’t love a complimentary snack?
Well, United just made an improvement to how it presents your complimentary onboard snack choices. Though the nosh fare isn’t changing, flight attendants will now be offering snacks choices in a basket presented to each customer. Previously, the crew simply asked passengers for their preferred choice without showing the options.
The airline moved to the snack basket presentation after receiving feedback from customers that they prefer seeing their choices before making a decision, a United spokeswoman told TPG.
On flights of 90 minutes or more, the basket of complimentary snacks will distributed from the gallery cart during the regular in-flight service. The snack basket will join the existing and more substantial buy-on-board Choice Menu items.
This improvement doesn’t impact what’s actually in the snack basket. The carrier will still offer a rotating selection of munchies, including pretzels, stroopwafels and recently-introduced Lotus Biscoff cookies.
I recently flew from LaGuardia Airport to Denver to catch a first look at United’s first retrofitted 787 Dreamliner.
My Premier 1K complimentary upgrade didn’t clear, so I was sitting in coach when I first saw the new snack basket. I personally much prefer seeing my choices before making a decision, so I was quite happy. I asked a few of my fellow passengers, and they agreed that the new presentation is a positive improvement to the carrier’s service flow.
United isn’t the only airline to serve snacks in a basket. Of the domestic carriers, JetBlue is perhaps the most famous for its complimentary snack selection and presentation. The airline offers an unlimited choice of five brand-name snacks, including Terra Sweet & Blue chips and Cheez-it Crackers.
Though UA isn’t upping its nosh fare, presenting them in a basket is a customer-friendly move. It’s time for other airlines to take note and do the same.
Featured image courtesy of United
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees