United Same-Day Change Just Got More Appealing for Elites
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Unfortunately United is no longer offering the ability to maintain an upgrade when utilizing same-day change.
One of my absolute favorite benefits of being a United elite is the ability to move to an earlier or later flight for free within 24 hours of departure. The carrier’s same-day change benefit isn’t quite as straightforward as that offered by JetBlue, which lets you move to a new flight between the same city pairs for $75 without fare class restrictions (and is free for Mosaic elites), but United’s is still easy enough to use, assuming the following conditions are met:
- The ticket must be issued by United (i.e. the ticket number must begin with 016)
- The itinerary must be operated by United or United Express
- Your original fare class must be available (or you can pay a difference in fare)
- You must travel between the same airports originally booked
- You must complete changes 60+ minutes before departure when traveling with checked bags
United same-day flight changes cost $75 for general members and Silver elites, but that fee is waived entirely for Gold members and above.
There had been one big caveat, however, that specifically affected most United elites. While Global Services members, who clear in the “PN” upgrade fare bucket, were able to keep their upgrades when moving from one flight to another — as long as “PN” was open on the new flight, of course — Premier 1K members and below would always have to settle for economy, regardless of whether “PZ” inventory was available.
Well, I happened to point out this discrepancy when meeting with United’s app team last month, and to their credit, the airline’s IT department actually acted on the tip and got it fixed! Now, all United flyers should be able to keep their confirmed upgrades — if you clear into “PZ’ class with miles, a certificate or via a complimentary upgrade, you should be able to keep your first or business-class seat when moving to a new flight using the same-day change feature online or via the app.
Of course, there is one downside to this change. Flyers who are waitlisted for an upgrade may end up missing out on a bump to first class if a flyer with a previously confirmed upgrade moves to their flight. Ideally, that traveler would have landed higher on the waitlist either way, but with some flights offering more inventory than others, that isn’t always going to be the case.
Featured image of a United Boeing 737 Max 9 by Zach Honig/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees