United Rolls Back Latest Round of First-Class Service Cuts
Oh United… when can we get off the rollercoaster?
In February, we learned of cuts to United’s flagship Polaris service, including the elimination of Bloody Mary carts and those fancy “wine arcs” — two components that the airline touted often during the early days of Polaris service, which began in December 2016. That only affects long-haul international service, but premium-cabin trips within the US have seen significant cuts of their own.
Those regional adjustments continued this month, with a further reduction of domestic meal service. Drinks were cut as well — tomato juice has since returned, but Canadian Club, Jim Beam, Courvoisier and Crown Royal all got the boot, with Buffalo Trace Bourbon coming on as a new liquor addition.
While those other drink changes remain, it seems that the previously offered meal service will return. A United spokesperson confirmed the rollback:
“We want our customers to know that we value and appreciate them and that we’re listening. Our customers told us that they were not happy about the menu modifications so we made the decision to reverse the changes and return our meal service to our previous offerings.”
That isn’t reflected on the United website, though, which, as of today, shows the reduced offerings:
Still, I received the older, expanded offering on my flight from Chicago (ORD) to New York (LGA) this week:
United has traditionally offered full meals on Chicago-New York flights, even though the blocked ~2-hour duration currently only calls for “Refreshments, which may include scones or muffins.” So while that may not be the best example, my buddy Matthew was offered the same egg white sandwich on his flight from Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Newark (EWR) this week.
It’s clear that these cuts were intended to save the airline a considerable amount, but they could have ended up hurting United in the long run if competitors continued to offer a more robust in-flight product. Either way, it’s good to see that UA’s taking customer feedback seriously — let’s just hope similar changes don’t slip back into the mix in the future.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees