United Airlines to require negative COVID-19 tests for all passengers originating in the UK
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines shared the details in a press release on Thursday of its plan to impose a testing requirement for all passengers whose travel originates in the U.K.
Beginning Dec. 28, all United passengers traveling to the United States from the United Kingdom must present proof of a COVID-19 test with a negative result within 72 hours of departure. According to the airline, molecular tests including PCR, LAMP or antigen are acceptable. And, if you can’t arrange a test a few days before departure — or aren’t confident in the turnaround time — rapid testing is provided at the Collinson testing center in Terminal 2 at London Heathrow Airport (LHR).
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The testing requirement applies to all passengers over the age of five, though those who are connecting from elsewhere in Europe onto a United flight at Heathrow are exempt.
All of United’s flights between the U.S. and London are included in this new policy. For December, that means its four daily flights to the airline’s hubs in Newark (EWR), Chicago-O’Hare (ORD), Washington-Dulles (IAD) and San Francisco (SFO). And in January, it will apply to its twice-daily flights between London and both Newark and Chicago.
The announcement was also made by Governor Phil Murphy of the state of New Jersey in a tweet on Thursday.
NEW: ALL @United passengers with flights originating in the U.K. will be required to present proof of a negative #COVID19 test obtained within 72 hours of departure on incoming flights to @EWRairport – effective Monday, December 28th. pic.twitter.com/St2W41mHDQ
— Governor Phil Murphy (@GovMurphy) December 24, 2020
This development comes as the U.K. finds itself reeling from the discovery of a new strain of the coronavirus, which is reportedly much more transmissible than other varieties. As a result, the nation has seen itself completely cut off from dozens of countries around the world. The U.S. has not banned travel to and from the U.K. at this point, but British Airways, Delta Air Lines and Virgin Atlantic have all imposed similar requirements in cooperation with the state of New York for their flights from London to New York City, via Kennedy Airport (JFK).
Featured image by Ryan Patterson / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees