New York working to require passengers from the UK to have a negative COVID-19 test
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways passengers arriving in New York from the United Kingdom will have to show proof of a negative COVID-19 test prior to departure. The news comes in the wake of the development of a highly contagious variant of the COVID-19 virus that has spread rapidly in the U.K.
On Monday, New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo announced the state’s new agreement with British Airways for travelers arriving into New York to have proof of a negative COVID-19 test. British Airways currently flies from London Heathrow (LHR) to New York’s Kennedy International Airport (JFK).
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
At this time, the negative test requirement only applies to British Airways passengers, not those traveling with other airlines. However, it’s likely that the requirement will be extended to those traveling with other airlines.
“Starting tomorrow British Airways will require passengers on U.K. flights to NY to show a negative COVID test before departure,” Cuomo said in a tweet. “We are in conversations with Delta and Virgin Atlantic to do the same.”
Since the news of the new variant of the COVID-19 virus came out of the U.K., nearly 50 countries have banned flights to and from the U.K., including Italy, Germany and France. Other countries now require that all U.K. arrivals have a negative COVID-19 test. The new strain has already been found in Italy.
Cuomo called on the federal government to consider a mandatory negative test for all travelers coming to the U.S. on flights from the United Kingdom. Additionally, Cuomo has pushed for a travel ban from Europe.
“It’s high time the federal government takes swift action, because today that variant is getting on a plane and landing in JFK, and all it takes is one person,” Cuomo said in a statement.
Since March, the Trump administration has banned non-nationals from entering the U.S. if they’re traveling from Europe, China, Iran and Brazil. While there were reports in November that the government was considering removing that ban for travelers coming from Europe, nothing has been made official.
If the federal government were to go ahead with a ban on flights from Europe, it could affect all travelers attempting to fly from the continent to the U.S., not just non-nationals.
As of Sunday, all of London and much of the southeast of England is under strict Tier 4 restrictions. Under the new, most-extreme tier in the country, all non-essential shops must close. Additionally, the government has implemented a “stay at home” message.
Those who need to travel for work, education or childcare are exempt from the Tier 4 restrictions.
Featured photo by Bryn Lennon/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees