United Is Finally Replacing Those Cheap Blue Plastic Cups
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You book a $13,000 first-class ticket from Chicago (ORD) to Tokyo (NRT), have a blast at the Polaris Lounge then board United’s three-cabin 777-200, where a flight attendant asks what you’d like to drink just before departure. Perhaps you order an Old Fashioned — an arguably sophisticated drink for a US-based airline — and then it arrives. In this super-cheap-looking blue plastic cup:
While this might seem like a minor detail to most flyers, some seem to feel that United’s “signature” blue cup really cheapens the experience quite a bit — and that’s absolutely something the airline should want to avoid when it’s charging as much for a one-way flight as you’d normally pay to own a small car, especially considering what you get on most international and even other US-based airlines.
These blue cups have been the go-to for pre-departure beverages in United’s domestic first class and regional biz, and they made their way to the Polaris cabins once the original plastic Champagne flute was retired.
Fortunately, the airline’s confirmed that those blue cups are finally on the way out.
“A United branded polycarbonate plastic cup will replace the current blue cups which are used to serve pre-departure beverages in Business, Polaris and first class cabins. They are safer since they aren’t glass and lend themselves to better sustainability.”
These new cups will be reusable, and while I haven’t been able to track down a picture just yet, they can’t possibly be less appealing than the blue cups used today. They’re expected to make an appearance on domestic and international flights beginning on August 1.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees