United Is Finally Replacing Those Cheap Blue Plastic Cups
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You book a $13,000 first-class ticket from Chicago (ORD) to Tokyo (NRT), have a blast at the Polaris Lounge then board United’s three-cabin 777-200, where a flight attendant asks what you’d like to drink just before departure. Perhaps you order an Old Fashioned — an arguably sophisticated drink for a US-based airline — and then it arrives. In this super-cheap-looking blue plastic cup:
While this might seem like a minor detail to most flyers, some seem to feel that United’s “signature” blue cup really cheapens the experience quite a bit — and that’s absolutely something the airline should want to avoid when it’s charging as much for a one-way flight as you’d normally pay to own a small car, especially considering what you get on most international and even other US-based airlines.
These blue cups have been the go-to for pre-departure beverages in United’s domestic first class and regional biz, and they made their way to the Polaris cabins once the original plastic Champagne flute was retired.
Fortunately, the airline’s confirmed that those blue cups are finally on the way out.
“A United branded polycarbonate plastic cup will replace the current blue cups which are used to serve pre-departure beverages in Business, Polaris and first class cabins. They are safer since they aren’t glass and lend themselves to better sustainability.”
These new cups will be reusable, and while I haven’t been able to track down a picture just yet, they can’t possibly be less appealing than the blue cups used today. They’re expected to make an appearance on domestic and international flights beginning on August 1.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.