Pride in December: An exclusive look at United’s first-ever all-LGBTQ+ flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s a saying that goes, it’s about the people, not the place.
The love — and joy — we felt was real, as my colleague Chris Dong and I were onboard United Airlines’ inaugural Pride flight, fully staffed by LGBTQ+-identifying employees, from the pilots and gate attendants to ground operations crew.
It was an orchestrated effort that came together beautifully, just three days after World AIDS Day.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
It was a bright Saturday morning at Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR), where festivities awaited customers at Gate C121. There was a terrific spread of brunch offerings — even better than what you’d find at a lounge — and plenty of coffee and even mimosas for the ultimate pre-departure celebration.
The event was put on by United’s LGBTQ+ business resource group, Equal, to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the first recorded case of AIDS and raise awareness for World AIDS Day and those who still live with the disease.
As you’re walking through United’s Terminal C, you’ll find a piece of the AIDS Quilt — and I highly recommend pausing to read some of these heartfelt stories.
At the gate, we heard from Newark deputy mayor Rahaman Muhammad and United’s line stations business senior manager and Equal president Kevin Keado, rounded out by an epic performance by Tony-nominated actress Jenn Colella from the Broadway show “Come From Away.”
The flight was short and sweet, and in under two hours, we arrived in Chicago. We proudly wore our red ribbons to commemorate those affected by and lost to the AIDS crisis.
But perhaps the best part of it all was the rainbow water cannon salute put on by O’Hare’s fire department as we pulled up to the gate.
As we were deplaning, employees from O’Hare were cheering us on the other side.
So, it really was about the people and not the place (or the airline) — and celebrating Pride beyond the month of June. We’re looking forward to this flight becoming an annual tradition, and we can only hope that there will be a drag show onboard next time.
Featured photo courtesy of United.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees