United Airlines giving even more life to extended PlusPoints
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hands down, the most valuable benefit of United’s top-tier Premier 1K status is its PlusPoints perk. It gives customers the opportunity to book economy or Premium Plus and confirm an upgrade to a higher cabin several times each year.
PlusPoints expire at the end of January after one full year of validity — points earned based on travel in 2018 were due to expire on Jan. 31, 2020. As it’s done in the past, however, the carrier extended the expiration of up to 80 PlusPoints upon request, making them valid through April 30, 2020.
As part of its coronavirus response, United confirmed that the carrier would automatically extend PlusPoints due to expire on Jan. 31, 2021, by six months, with a new expiration date of July 31, 2021.
Those 80 PlusPoints United already extended were still due to expire on April 30, but, as confirmed by multiple telephone agents, the carrier will be extending those by six months as well. The expiration date will be updated to Oct. 31, 2020, hopefully giving elites grounded by coronavirus an opportunity to redeem them for upgrades later this year.
As of now, the expiration date is expected to be updated automatically, but if April 29 rolls around and your PlusPoints are still scheduled to expire on April 30, I’d give the MileagePlus Service Center a call at 800-421-4655 just to ensure your points aren’t overlooked.
For more on United PlusPoints, see:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees