United extending 1K and Global Services upgrades through April 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In previous years, United Airlines has offered to extend expiring Global Premier Upgrades (GPUs) for members who requalified for status — a quick call to the MileagePlus Service Center would get you a three-month extension on up to two GPUs, making them valid through April 30 rather than Jan. 31.
With this year’s switch to PlusPoints, however, the carrier warned that an extension most likely wouldn’t be available. I just gave MileagePlus a call and had no trouble extending the deadline for 80 PlusPoints, however — equivalent to two expiring GPUs!
As in the past, the following requirements apply if you’re hoping to extend your points:
- You must have already requalified for Premier 1K or Global Services status for the 2020 program year.
- You must call the MileagePlus Service Center at 800-421-4655 to request the extension.
My call took about 15 minutes in total — about 10 minutes for the agent to process the extension, after a five-minute hold.
Note that you can extend a maximum of 80 PlusPoints, but only in 40-point increments — if you have 70 PlusPoints expiring in January, only 40 will be extended. United will not extend points in any other increments, so a remainder of 30 (or any number other than 40) cannot be extended. My 80 points were converted from 4 Regional Premier Upgrades, though, which wouldn’t have been eligible for extension in the past.
For more on United PlusPoints, see:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.