United extending 1K and Global Services upgrades through April 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In previous years, United Airlines has offered to extend expiring Global Premier Upgrades (GPUs) for members who requalified for status — a quick call to the MileagePlus Service Center would get you a three-month extension on up to two GPUs, making them valid through April 30 rather than Jan. 31.
With this year’s switch to PlusPoints, however, the carrier warned that an extension most likely wouldn’t be available. I just gave MileagePlus a call and had no trouble extending the deadline for 80 PlusPoints, however — equivalent to two expiring GPUs!
As in the past, the following requirements apply if you’re hoping to extend your points:
- You must have already requalified for Premier 1K or Global Services status for the 2020 program year.
- You must call the MileagePlus Service Center at 800-421-4655 to request the extension.
My call took about 15 minutes in total — about 10 minutes for the agent to process the extension, after a five-minute hold.
Note that you can extend a maximum of 80 PlusPoints, but only in 40-point increments — if you have 70 PlusPoints expiring in January, only 40 will be extended. United will not extend points in any other increments, so a remainder of 30 (or any number other than 40) cannot be extended. My 80 points were converted from 4 Regional Premier Upgrades, though, which wouldn’t have been eligible for extension in the past.
For more on United PlusPoints, see:
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees