United is increasing checked bag fees if you don’t prepay
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United is increasing its checked bag fee in March 2020 for those who don’t prepay online but the airline did not say how much the fees will increase — all the more reason to have elite status or carry the right cobranded credit card.
The announcement came in statement issued Feb. 21, 2020: “We are making changes to our checked bag fee on certain flights, effective for travel on and after March 6. The changes do not apply to customers who booked their trips before Feb. 21, 2020, and will not apply to customers who prepay online before check-in. As always, MileagePlus Premier customers and those who purchase tickets with an eligible MileagePlus credit card will continue to receive complimentary checked luggage,” the statement says.
United already has a strict baggage policy that requires passengers with basic economy tickets to check in at the airport to ensure that no unpaid baggage gets aboard. For advance check-in, basic economy passengers can pay for checked bags online prior to their flight.
According to seatguru.com, United currently charges $30 for the first check bag for a domestic flight and $40 for the second bag. If United follows in JetBlue’s footsteps, then it will likely be an increase of $5 per checked bag.
TPG suggests not booking basic economy as it’s the most restrictive fare. All other fare options allow for a free carry-on, though checked bags are additional unless you have elite status or carry a cobranded credit card.
You can enjoy complimentary checked luggage with select credit cards such as the United Explorer Card (up to 1 bag), and the United Club Infinite Card and the United’s Presidential Plus Card (up to 2 bags). However, there are two caveats: You must book the ticket with the applicable United card and the card must be valid at check-in.
The information for the United Presidential Plus card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured image from The Points Guy archives.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.