This airline just increased bag fees to $35, the highest in the U.S.
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue Airways today quietly increased checked bag fees for many passengers, giving it the most expensive fee for that service among major U.S. airlines.
You’ll now pay $35 for your first checked bag not only if you’re flying JetBlue’s basic economy, Blue Basic, but also if you are flying either Blue or Blue Extra. You’ll only be able to avoid the fee if you’re flying Blue Plus or JetBlue Mint, have Mosaic status or are a JetBlue cardholder.
You’ll also now pay $45 for a second checked bag if you fall into one of those affected categories. The second-checked-bag fee is also the highest for U.S. airlines, according to TPG’s baggage fee tracker.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
If you want to save on checked bags, you can add up to two checked bags in advance, according to JetBlue. The airline’s website says you’ll save $5 off each of the first two checked bags. The fees are only refundable if your entire booking is canceled before departure.
According to an internal memo obtained by Paxex.aero’s Seth Miller, the airline increased fees to “reduce transactions in the airport lobby and improve the Customer experience.”
JetBlue used to offer every traveler one free checked bag but abandoned that policy a few years ago.
Overweight bags between 51 and 99 pounds cost an additional $150, which is $50 more than the big three airlines charge for bags between 51 and 70 pounds, but $50 less for bags that weigh 71 to 100 pounds. Bags between 63″ and 80 inches, including wheels and handles, also will set you back $150.
If you want to avoid the $5 increase, your best bet is to fly in JetBlue’s premium cabin or keep a co-branded card in your wallet. The airline offers two different JetBlue co-branded credit cards that provide fee waivers for checked bags. Both the JetBlue Plus Card and the JetBlue Business Card allow primary cardholders to check their first bag for free, and this also extends to up to three companions booked on the same reservation.
In the first half of 2019, airlines reported an after-tax net profit of $4.8 billion and a pre-tax operating profit of $6.9 billion, according to a report from the Bureau of Transportation Statistics.
Airlines collected $1.5 billion in baggage fees, or 2.9% of total operating revenue, through the end of the second quarter. JetBlue collected $174 million in bag fees in the first half of 2019. American Airlines accounted for half of the $1.5 billion figure, collecting over $668 million in the first half of last year.
Featured image courtesy of Patrick T. Fallon for The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees