United Airlines to return to 11 cities in Asia, Europe and South America in July
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Star Alliance carrier will return to 11 long-haul cities in Asia, Europe and South America, United said on May 29. Destinations include Brussels (BRU), Buenos Aires (EZE), Delhi (DEL), Dublin (DUB), Hong Kong (HKG), Lima (LIM), Munich (MUC), Seoul Incheon (ICN), Singapore (SIN), Tokyo Haneda (HND) and Zurich (ZRH).
United will operate a Boeing 787, what is now its long-haul “workhorse,” on most of its intercontinental flights. The 787-9 and 787-10 will fly nearly 94% of flights in July, according to Cirium schedules. The latter aircraft are fully outfitted with the airline’s latest onboard products, including Polaris business class and Premium Plus premium economy seats.
The route resumptions come as travelers still face a patchwork of country-by-country restrictions, including mandatory quarantines, aimed to slow the spread of COVID-19. Officials expect these limits to slow the return of international travelers for some time, with the International Air Transport Association (IATA) forecasting a three- to four-year recovery in long-haul flying.
“United’s always going to be larger internationally than our peers,” said United CEO Scott Kirby when asked about how the airline will build back its map at the Bernstein Strategic Decisions conference on May 28.
International flying has been core to United since it acquired Pan Am’s Pacific assets in 1986. In 2019, 18% of the airline’s passengers flew on international flights — at least four points more than at either American Airlines or Delta Air Lines — according to U.S. Bureau of Transportation Statistics via Cirium.
“Across the Pacific”
— Airline Maps (@airlinemaps) May 30, 2020
United’s international focus hit it hard during the early days of the crisis. The Chicago-based carrier canceled 90% of its schedule in May and June, while its more U.S. domestic-focused competitors, like Southwest Airlines, are able to operate up to half of their schedules.
In addition to the additional long-haul routes, United plans to return to 16 destinations in the Caribbean and Latin America in July. These include key hubs like Panama City (PTY) and beach destinations like Nassau (NAS) and Punta Cana (PUJ).
Below is a list of international routes United plans to resume in July. Some, including Singapore, are subject to government approval.
- Tokyo Haneda
Houston Bush Intercontinental
- Belize City (BZE)
- Buenos Aires
- Guatemala City (GUA)
- Liberia, Costa Rica (LIR)
- Montego Bay (MBJ)
- Panama City
- Punta Cana
- Queretaro, Mexico (QRO)
- Quito, Ecuador (UIO)
- San Luis Potosi, Mexico (SLP)
- San Pedro Sula, Honduras (SAP)
- San Salvador, El Salvador (SAL)
- Aruba (AUA)
- Montego Bay
- Punta Cana
- Santiago, Dominican Republic (STI)
- Santo Domingo (SDQ)
- Hong Kong
- Seoul Incheon
- Singapore via a stop in Hong Kong
- Tel Aviv
- London Heathrow (LHR)
Featured image by Alberto Riva/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees