United Flights Now Bookable Online With Lufthansa Miles & More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While often overlooked by points and miles enthusiasts, Lufthansa’s frequent flyer program, Miles and More, is on the rise. In December, the program announced that families will be able to “pool” miles together starting later this month. The program has now further improved by allowing you to book awards online on more of its airline partners including Cathay Pacific and, notably, United.
Here’s a list of the previous and new airline partner awards that can be booked online:
|Previous Partners With Online Booking||New Partners With Online Booking|
|Adria Airways||Adria Airways|
|Aegean Airlines||Aegean Airlines|
|Air Canada||Air Canada|
|Air China||Air China|
|Air New Zealand||Air Dolomiti|
|Austrian Airlines||Air New Zealand|
|Brussels Airlines||Asiana Airlines|
|Condor Airlines||Austrian Airlines|
|EVA Air||Croatia Airlines|
|LOT Polish Airlines||EgyptAir|
|Shenzhen Airlines||LOT Polish Airlines|
|South African Airways||Luxair|
|SWISS International Airlines||SAS|
|TAP Portugal||Shenzhen Airlines|
|THAI Airways||Singapore Airlines|
|Turkish Airlines||SWISS International Airlines|
This unlocks the potential for some excellent online redemptions, especially for domestic flights within the US. One-way domestic awards booked on United metal cost 12,000 miles in economy and just 17,000 in business, versus 12,500 and 25,000 respectively on most routes using United MileagePlus miles.
If you can find award space, you can also get phenomenal value on premium transcontinental business class seats on United by using Miles & More. United charges a 10,000 mile premium on business class seats between New York/Newark (EWR) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO), meaning you’d pay 35,000 MileagePlus miles in one direction. But that same business class seat is just 17,000 Miles & More miles.
Plus, Miles and More doesn’t charge close-in booking fees on award tickets, so those last-minute United flights that carry an extra $75 cost per person can be had for the same number of miles and just the standard taxes and fees.
If you’re short on Miles & More miles, Starwood Preferred Guest points can be transferred to Miles & More at a 1:1 ratio, though it may take time. Remember that if you transfer Starpoints in blocks of 20,000, you’ll also get a 25% bonus, meaning you can effectively get these United business class seats for just 13,600 Starpoints by transferring and booking through Miles & More.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.