United Flights Now Bookable Online With Lufthansa Miles & More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While often overlooked by points and miles enthusiasts, Lufthansa’s frequent flyer program, Miles and More, is on the rise. In December, the program announced that families will be able to “pool” miles together starting later this month. The program has now further improved by allowing you to book awards online on more of its airline partners including Cathay Pacific and, notably, United.
Here’s a list of the previous and new airline partner awards that can be booked online:
|Previous Partners With Online Booking||New Partners With Online Booking|
|Adria Airways||Adria Airways|
|Aegean Airlines||Aegean Airlines|
|Air Canada||Air Canada|
|Air China||Air China|
|Air New Zealand||Air Dolomiti|
|Austrian Airlines||Air New Zealand|
|Brussels Airlines||Asiana Airlines|
|Condor Airlines||Austrian Airlines|
|EVA Air||Croatia Airlines|
|LOT Polish Airlines||EgyptAir|
|Shenzhen Airlines||LOT Polish Airlines|
|South African Airways||Luxair|
|SWISS International Airlines||SAS|
|TAP Portugal||Shenzhen Airlines|
|THAI Airways||Singapore Airlines|
|Turkish Airlines||SWISS International Airlines|
This unlocks the potential for some excellent online redemptions, especially for domestic flights within the US. One-way domestic awards booked on United metal cost 12,000 miles in economy and just 17,000 in business, versus 12,500 and 25,000 respectively on most routes using United MileagePlus miles.
If you can find award space, you can also get phenomenal value on premium transcontinental business class seats on United by using Miles & More. United charges a 10,000 mile premium on business class seats between New York/Newark (EWR) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO), meaning you’d pay 35,000 MileagePlus miles in one direction. But that same business class seat is just 17,000 Miles & More miles.
Plus, Miles and More doesn’t charge close-in booking fees on award tickets, so those last-minute United flights that carry an extra $75 cost per person can be had for the same number of miles and just the standard taxes and fees.
If you’re short on Miles & More miles, Starwood Preferred Guest points can be transferred to Miles & More at a 1:1 ratio, though it may take time. Remember that if you transfer Starpoints in blocks of 20,000, you’ll also get a 25% bonus, meaning you can effectively get these United business class seats for just 13,600 Starpoints by transferring and booking through Miles & More.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees