This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Official application link: United Explorer Card with a bonus of up to 60,000 miles
Since early April, the United Explorer Card has been offering an elevated sign-up bonus. It’s divided into two tiers: You’ll earn 40,000 miles after you spend $2,000 in the first 3 months, and you’ll earn another 20,000 miles after you spend $8,000 total in the first 6 months from account opening.
By meeting both tiers of spending requirements, you’ll earn up to 60,000 United miles, which are worth $780 based on TPG’s valuations. But you’ll only be able to earn this bonus until May 16, so you’ll want to act now if you’re interested.
Increasing your United MileagePlus account by 60,000 miles may be your primary motivation for signing up for this card, but the Explorer Card can also improve your experience on United flights, as it offers priority boarding, a free checked bag for you and one companion when you pay with the card and 25% off inflight purchases. And at $95 a year (waived the first year), it’s also one of the most affordable cards to offer a Global Entry/TSA PreCheck application fee credit (up to $100). Plus, each year you’ll get two one-time United Club passes, and as a card holder you get expanded award availability
The Explorer Card earns 2x miles on restaurants, hotel purchases made directly with the hotel and purchases made with United, and 1 mile per dollar on everything else. The card has no foreign transaction fees, and remember the $95 annual fee is waived the first year so you get 12 months to use the card before paying.
United recently introduced dynamic award pricing in place of a fixed award chart for its own flights, meaning the cost of United flights will vary based on demand. This change kicks in on November 15, and while it is certainly a devaluation, you can still get strong value out of United miles, especially on the airline’s partners like Lufthansa, Swiss and Thai.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
The United Explorer card recently got some enhancements like 2 miles per dollar spent at restaurants and on hotel stays and a Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check Fee credit (up to $100). The $95 annual fee is waived for the first year.
- 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and on hotel stays
- Up to $100 Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® Fee Credit
- 25% back on United inflight purchases
- Check your first bag for free (a savings of up to $120 per roundtrip) when you use your Card to purchase your ticket
- Enjoy priority boarding privileges and visit the United Club℠ with 2 one-time passes each year for your anniversary
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on purchases from United, and 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases