United Details Major Expansion From San Francisco, Including New Routes and Added Frequencies
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In a media call on Wednesday, United Airlines CEO Oscar Munoz and Vice President International Network Patrick Quayle detailed plans for the airline to launch several new international routes. It is the largest-ever international expansion out of San Francisco International Airport (SFO), and United heralded the additions as the carrier’s “premier gateway to the Pacific.”
The following routes or frequencies will be added from SFO in 2019:
San Francisco (SFO) – Melbourne (MEL) — Year-round nonstop service beginning Oct. 29, 2019. Operated by a Boeing 787-9 on the following schedule:
- UA60 San Francisco (SFO) 10:50pm Departure ⇒ Melbourne (MEL) 9:40am (+2) Arrival — Tuesdays/Thursdays/Saturdays
- UA61 Melbourne (MEL) 11:40am Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 6:50am Arrival — Mondays/Thursdays/Saturdays
San Francisco (SFO) – New Delhi (DEL) — Seasonal nonstop service beginning Dec. 5, 2019. Operated by a Boeing 787-9 on the following schedule:
- UA104 San Francisco (SFO) 7:15pm Departure ⇒ New Delhi (DEL) 12:45am (+2) Arrival
- UA105 New Delhi (DEL) 4am Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 6:10am Arrival
San Francisco (SFO) – Toronto (YYZ) — Twice-daily nonstop year-round service beginning March 31, 2019. Operated by a Boeing 737-800 on the following schedules.
- UA565 San Francisco (SFO) 10:25am Departure ⇒ Toronto (YYZ) 6:30pm Arrival
- UA565 San Francisco (SFO) 11pm Departure ⇒ Toronto (YYZ) 7am (+1) Arrival
- UA459 Toronto (YYZ) 7:15am Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 9:54am Arrival
- UZ459 Toronto (YYZ) 7:21pm Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 9:55pm Arrival
San Francisco (SFO) – Amsterdam (AMS) — Year-round nonstop service beginning March 30, 2019. Operated by a Boeing 787-9 on the following schedule:
- UA968 San Francisco (SFO) 2:55pm Departure ⇒ Amsterdam (AMS) 10:20am (+1) Arrival
- UA969 Amsterdam (AMS) 2:50pm Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 4:50pm Arrival
San Francisco (SFO) – Seoul (ICN) — A second flight, flown four times per week beginning April 1, 2019. Operated by a Boeing 777-200ER on the following schedule:
- UA805 San Francisco (SFO) 4:55pm Departure ⇒ Seoul (ICN) 9:35pm (+1) Arrival — Mondays/Tuesdays/Thursdays/Saturdays
- UA806 Seoul (ICN) 11:25am Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 6:10am Arrival — Mondays/Wednesdays/Thursdays/Saturdays
San Francisco (SFO) – Auckland (AKL) — Extended route, becoming year-round nonstop service 3x weekly beginning March 30, 2019. Operated by a Boeing 777-200ER on the following schedule:
- UA917 San Francisco (SFO) 11:10pm Departure ⇒ Auckland (AKL) 7:20am (+2) Arrival — Tuesdays/Thursdays/Saturdays
- UA916 Auckland (AKL) 2:30pm Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 6:40am Arrival — Mondays/Thursdays/Saturdays
San Francisco (SFO) – Tahiti (PPT) — Extended route, becoming year-round nonstop service 3x weekly beginning March 30, 2019. Operated by a 787-8 on the following schedule:
- UA115 San Francisco (SFO) 1:15pm Departure ⇒ Pape’ete (PPT) 6:55pm Arrival — Tuesdays/Thursdays/Saturdays
- UA114 Pape’ete (PPT) 9:15pm Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 8:25am (+1) Arrival
All of the route expansions are pending government approvals.
“This route expansion solidifies United’s position at San Francisco as the gateway airline serving destinations across the Pacific, the continental United States, as well as to Europe and beyond,” Munoz said. “It serves as a fitting capstone to all our efforts that made 2018 a breakthrough year for United, from delivering strong financial performance to currently leading in on-time departures for the second year in a row.”
With the addition of these new routes, United will serve 29 international destinations from SFO, including eight cities in Europe, India and the Middle East, seven in North America and 14 in Asia and Oceania. In total, United operates more than 300 daily flights out of SFO.
But United’s not only looking at growing in the Bay Area. Quayle and Munoz also detailed that the carrier is planning to grow its presence at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) — specifically in Terminal 9. It plans to grow T9 with the same way in which it did at Chicago O’Hare (ORD), by teaming with its international Star Alliance partners also in the same terminal.
The two also detailed that the long-awaited Polaris Lounge in LAX will open in January 2019. In addition, a new United Club will be coming to LAX. They did stress, however, that LAX is on the tighter side as far as available slots and there’s not enough room left to grow.
Munoz also announced a new mobile app coming in early 2019. Making it easier book flights, as well as the day of travel easier. The new app will be launching at some point in January.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees