United’s pre-pandemic boarding groups will return this week
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As with most U.S. airlines, United modified its boarding procedures early during the pandemic, loading flyers from the back of the plane to the front, with the hopes of boosting distance wherever possible.
This week, as Live and Let’s Fly points out, the carrier will once again be boarding flyers based on their assigned number. Passengers are assigned to one of five boarding groups — Group 1 through 5 — depending on their elite status, cabin and the fare they purchased.
United Global Services and Premier 1K members can pre-board, along with select travelers, including customers with disabilities, families with children age two and younger, and active-duty military. Group 1 consists of Platinum and Gold elites and business and first-class flyers, followed by Silver and select co-branded cardholders in Group 2, and all economy flyers in Groups 3 through 5, who board based on their fare type and their location on the plane.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
As a spokesperson explained to TPG:
On April 15, we will resume our Better Boarding — our five-group, two-lane boarding process. Last year United temporarily switched to boarding from the back of the aircraft to the front to improve social distancing during boarding. Now that more customers are returning, this can result in customers gathering in the gate area to wait near the boarding door for their row to be called. This gathering defeats the social distancing purpose of back-to-front boarding. We know from recent customer surveys that an orderly boarding experience is one of the things our customers value the most.
While social distancing practices are still helpful in limiting the spread of COVID-19, masks are even more effective, and are now mandated by law in all airports and onboard all planes in the United States. With confusion around back-to-front boarding leading to crowding at the gate, returning to a more familiar group process could actually lead to fewer people gathering, as United points out.
Ultimately, a return to pre-pandemic processes is likely to be a continuing trend. United is hardly the first carrier to return to boarding groups. Last month, JetBlue returned to its pre-pandemic boarding process, while Southwest followed a few weeks later, moving from its temporary 10-person groups to its pre-pandemic 30-flyer clusters.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees