United makes basic economy slightly less restrictive
Each of the three major U.S. airlines offers a basic economy fare. With this pricing strategy, the mainline carriers have more closely matched the fares of low-cost carriers like Frontier and Spirit by stripping out many of the inclusions you’d typically get with a regular economy ticket.
United’s offering is the most restrictive of any U.S. airline. Of the many restrictions, seat assignments aren’t included in your purchase. Historically, they could be purchased anytime before check-in or you’d get one assigned for free during check-in. But this policy has always excluded extra-legroom Economy Plus seating.
For more travel tips and news, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Well, the carrier has made a (small) positive update. Beginning Wednesday, Aug. 26, basic economy customers will be able to purchase an Economy Plus seat at check-in, an airline spokesperson confirmed to TPG. This means that those who’d like a little extra legroom can pay for the privilege 24 hours before their flight.
While United Premier elites can typically assign Economy Plus seating for free, those who purchase basic economy fares can’t partake in that benefit. Sadly, that’s not changing with today’s policy update. (Likewise, Economy Plus subscriptions can’t be applied to basic economy bookings.)
As before, customers can purchase regular coach and preferred seats anytime after booking. Economy Plus seats can’t be purchased until check-in though. If you choose not to purchase a seat, you’ll be auto-assigned one during the check-in process.
While this is definitely good news for those who’d like to purchase a little more space, note that once travel demand picks up again (and elites take to the air), there will likely be very few extra legroom seats left when check-in opens. Most times, it’s typically just a few scattered middle seats available. But if you can score an aisle or window, it could definitely make sense to upgrade.
Unfortunately, United’s basic economy fares still have a bunch of other restrictions. You can’t take a full-sized carry-on bag, or even pay for the privilege, unless they have United elite status, are Star Alliance Gold members, are United MileagePlus cardholders or are flying on a transatlantic route.
Additionally, you can’t typically make ticket changes at any price, and you’ll earn reduced credit toward elite status and award miles. However, due to the coronavirus, United has a change-fee waiver that includes basic economy tickets. For tickets issued between March 3 and Aug. 31, 2020, there are no change fees.
To avoid some of the basic economy restrictions, you’ll want to make sure that you have a co-branded United card. United Explorer Card members receive a free checked bag and priority boarding, while those with the United Infinite Club Card receive a second free checked bag, priority check-in, security and baggage handling.
Either way, if you choose to fly on a United basic economy fare, at least you’ll now have the option to purchase an Economy Plus seat at check-in.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees