United Airlines will offer complimentary food on more Hawaii routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines is expanding its latest trial of complimentary food for passengers flying in economy on select Hawaii flights to more routes beginning in March.
Citing positive customer feedback, the carrier will expand the trial of complimentary cold sandwiches on flights between Chicago O’Hare (ORD) and Honolulu (HNL) to five more hubs on March 1, United said in a catering update to employees on Feb. 19 that was viewed by TPG. Sandwiches will be offered on all flights to Honolulu from Denver (DEN), Guam (GUM), Houston Intercontinental (IAH), Newark (EWR) and Washington Dulles (IAD).
“Customers are… noticing the changes and telling us they are enjoying the new amenities and complimentary sandwiches,” United said in the memo.
Here’s the latest in @united catering memos. This month, the airline has tested free food on Chicago-Honolulu flights. You’ll be shocked to know passengers like it. The trial is expanding to other long-haul domestic routes, according to an internal communique. Yum. pic.twitter.com/OU1jI8KxZW
— Brian Sumers (@BrianSumers) February 20, 2020
United, along with all other major U.S. carriers, eliminated complimentary meals and snacks on domestic flights during the decade following 9/11. This included routes to Hawaii, even though many of these flights are often longer than an international flight to Europe from the East Coast.
In the past few years, U.S. carriers led by Delta Air Lines have reintroduced free snacks on domestic flights and, on select routes, complimentary light meals.
The latest free-sandwich trial is not United’s first. The airline tested the concept on Chicago – Honolulu flights last April as well.
Featured image by Zach Griff / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees