United Airlines will offer complimentary food on more Hawaii routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines is expanding its latest trial of complimentary food for passengers flying in economy on select Hawaii flights to more routes beginning in March.
Citing positive customer feedback, the carrier will expand the trial of complimentary cold sandwiches on flights between Chicago O’Hare (ORD) and Honolulu (HNL) to five more hubs on March 1, United said in a catering update to employees on Feb. 19 that was viewed by TPG. Sandwiches will be offered on all flights to Honolulu from Denver (DEN), Guam (GUM), Houston Intercontinental (IAH), Newark (EWR) and Washington Dulles (IAD).
“Customers are… noticing the changes and telling us they are enjoying the new amenities and complimentary sandwiches,” United said in the memo.
Here’s the latest in @united catering memos. This month, the airline has tested free food on Chicago-Honolulu flights. You’ll be shocked to know passengers like it. The trial is expanding to other long-haul domestic routes, according to an internal communique. Yum. pic.twitter.com/OU1jI8KxZW
— Brian Sumers (@BrianSumers) February 20, 2020
United, along with all other major U.S. carriers, eliminated complimentary meals and snacks on domestic flights during the decade following 9/11. This included routes to Hawaii, even though many of these flights are often longer than an international flight to Europe from the East Coast.
In the past few years, U.S. carriers led by Delta Air Lines have reintroduced free snacks on domestic flights and, on select routes, complimentary light meals.
The latest free-sandwich trial is not United’s first. The airline tested the concept on Chicago – Honolulu flights last April as well.
Featured image by Zach Griff / The Points Guy.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.