United doubles down on vaccine requirement with stringent policy for religious exemptions
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This story has been updated with additional information about unvaccinated employees.
Customer-facing employees at United Airlines who are approved for religious exemptions to the airline’s employee vaccine requirement will be required to go on an unpaid personal leave of absence Oct. 2, the airline said on Wednesday.
Front-line employees who are approved for medical exemptions will be placed on medical leave on the same date, which is paid or unpaid for different work groups.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
In the case of denied exemption requests, employees will have five weeks from when the denial is communicated to get vaccinated and provide documentation to United.
All other employees will be required to be vaccinated by Sept. 27, five weeks from when the Pfizer vaccine received full FDA approval.
Are you an airline employee or industry insider? Message this reporter with tips, feedback, or opinions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For non-customer-facing workers, such as baggage handlers and maintenance technicians, as well as management and administrative employees, the leaves for those with approved religious exemptions will be lifted as employees’ work-sites develop masking and testing protocols, a senior executive said.
For front-line workers, the leaves will be indefinite until the airline considers the pandemic to be over.
The policy was communicated in an internal memo to employees and a briefing with media.
“In determining the appropriate accommodations, we will take many factors into account including an employee’s work requirements and the metrics that illustrate the state of the COVID pandemic in the U.S.,” the airline wrote in the memo.
“Given the dire statistics listed above, we can no longer allow unvaccinated people back into the workplace until we better understand how they might interact with our customers and their vaccinated co-workers.”
The full memo is available at the bottom of this article.
About half of unvaccinated United employees have taken the shot since the mandate was announced, a senior airline executive said.
As discussion of compulsory vaccination in public and private workplaces has emerged, employers have noted the potential for lengthy litigation or other resistance, as the Washington Post reported.
However, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) said in December that employees can legally require that existing and new employees be vaccinated, providing that employers provide “reasonable accommodation” in line with requirements defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act.
Featured image courtesy of United Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees