United Airlines trims Hong Kong-New York schedule this winter
United Airlines will reduce its exposure to the weak Hong Kong market by temporarily cutting some flights from the New York City area this winter.
The Star Alliance carrier will only fly between Newark (EWR) and Hong Kong (HKG) three-days-a-week on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from Jan. 12 to March 27, United told employees in a newsletter Monday. It will continue to offer twice-daily service between San Francisco (SFO) and Hong Kong.
The changes were to “better match capacity to customer demand” in the “current environment,” the airline said. Hong Kong faces unrest as citizens continue to protest Chinese rule of the special administrative region.
United’s decision to temporarily reduce the number flights between Hong Kong and Newark follows two previous capacity reductions in response to demand. The airline will shift all of its flights to the city to smaller Boeing 777-200 aircraft that have about a fifth fewer seats than the 777-300ERs they replace in December. And, in September, United indefinitely suspended service between Chicago O’Hare (ORD) and Hong Kong.
“We’re skating to where the puck is going, not where the puck has been,” United’s vice-president of international network Patrick Quayle told TPG in September on the airline’s ability to quickly adjust schedules in response to demand.
Separately from Hong Kong, United will also reduce frequency to Melbourne (MEL) in Australia next summer. The carrier will reduce its daily service between Los Angeles (LAX) and Melbourne to four-times weekly on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday from March 28 to Oct. 22.
United plans to grow system capacity by 4-6% year-over-year in 2020, with the final amount dependent on when the Boeing 737 MAX returns to service. Planned additions include four new routes to Tokyo Haneda (HND), and a new shuttle-like service between Newark and Washington National (DCA).
Featured image by Marcio Rodrigo Machado/S3studioGetty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees