United Airlines adds 4 new routes from California airports
United Airlines is returning to Santa Maria on California’s Central Coast and will expand in Milwaukee this June, as it continues to grow its domestic route network.
The Star Alliance carrier will return to Santa Maria (SMX) with service to Denver (DEN), Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO) on June 4, United spokesman Jonathan Guerin told TPG. All three routes will operate daily on 50-seat Bombardier CRJ200 jets.
United previously served Santa Maria, which is about halfway between Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo, until 2016, according to Cirium schedules. The airport is the closest to Vandenberg Air Force Base, which is home to numerous satellite launches including by Elon Musk’s SpaceX.
Prior to ending service, the airline had served Santa Maria continuously since at least 1987.
United will also add seasonal service between Milwaukee (MKE) and San Francisco on June 4. The route will operate daily on Airbus A319 aircraft through Sept. 7.
The new routes come as United continues to grow rapidly with capacity forecast to increase 4-6% year-over-year in 2020. Other planned additions include a new shuttle-like service between Newark Liberty (EWR) and Washington’s Reagan National (DCA), and four new flights to Tokyo Haneda (HND).
United gave a preview of some of its future growth earlier this week. The airline plans to grow its Denver hub to more than 700 departures by 2025, executives said in a Denver City Council committee hearing on Wednesday. It is seeking 24 additional gates at the airport to support those plans.
Allegiant Air is the only carrier serving Santa Maria currently with flights to Las Vegas (LAS).
Southwest Airlines flies seasonally between San Francisco and Milwaukee, according to Cirium.
Featured image by Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.