United Airlines adds 4 new routes from California airports
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines is returning to Santa Maria on California’s Central Coast and will expand in Milwaukee this June, as it continues to grow its domestic route network.
The Star Alliance carrier will return to Santa Maria (SMX) with service to Denver (DEN), Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO) on June 4, United spokesman Jonathan Guerin told TPG. All three routes will operate daily on 50-seat Bombardier CRJ200 jets.
United previously served Santa Maria, which is about halfway between Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo, until 2016, according to Cirium schedules. The airport is the closest to Vandenberg Air Force Base, which is home to numerous satellite launches including by Elon Musk’s SpaceX.
Prior to ending service, the airline had served Santa Maria continuously since at least 1987.
United will also add seasonal service between Milwaukee (MKE) and San Francisco on June 4. The route will operate daily on Airbus A319 aircraft through Sept. 7.
The new routes come as United continues to grow rapidly with capacity forecast to increase 4-6% year-over-year in 2020. Other planned additions include a new shuttle-like service between Newark Liberty (EWR) and Washington’s Reagan National (DCA), and four new flights to Tokyo Haneda (HND).
United gave a preview of some of its future growth earlier this week. The airline plans to grow its Denver hub to more than 700 departures by 2025, executives said in a Denver City Council committee hearing on Wednesday. It is seeking 24 additional gates at the airport to support those plans.
Allegiant Air is the only carrier serving Santa Maria currently with flights to Las Vegas (LAS).
Southwest Airlines flies seasonally between San Francisco and Milwaukee, according to Cirium.
Featured image by Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.