Cheers: United expands drink menu, adds White Claw
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Inflight service has resumed among the major airlines and United is hoping to stand out with a new addition no other airline has: White Claw.
If you need a little pick-me-up while flying with United, this drink (and airline) might be the one for you. The popular hard seltzer brand is now on board, although mango is the only flavor option available. Other newer beverage choices onboard include Michelob Ultra, Stella Artois, Breckenridge Brewery Juice Drop Hazy IPA and Kona Brewing Co. Big Wave Golden Ale. All are available for $8. Red, white and sparkling wine are also available for purchase.
This change comes after United overhauled its onboard offerings April 1. Those changes included a choice of new snack boxes, pre-packaged snacks and a variety of alcoholic beverages. The two snack boxes, the Takeoff Snackbox and the Recline Snackbox, are available for $10 and $8 respectively.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The Takeoff Snackbox includes salami, cheese, nuts, crackers and dried fruits. The Recline Snackbox is a bit less nutritious, including popcorn, pretzels, Oreos and gummy bears (but we’re not complaining).
Unfortunately, onboard snack, beer and wine sales are only available on select United flights. These include flights departing from Denver (DEN) to one of the following nine cities:
- Boston (BOS)
- Chicago-O’Hare (ORD)
- Honolulu (HNL)
- Houston (IAH)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Newark (EWR)
- San Francisco (SFO)
- Washington-Dulles (IAD)
- Washington-National (DCA)
The change also launched buy-on-board options for economy-class passengers on the following Hawaii routes:
- Chicago-O’Hare to/from Honolulu
- Chicago-O’Hare to/from Kahului, Maui
- Houston to/from Honolulu
- Newark to/from Honolulu
- Guam to/from Honolulu
If you are on a flight for more than six hours to Hawaii, the Chicago-based carrier also expanded buy-on-board to those flights as well. These snack and drink options are also available on premium transcontinental service, including: Flights between Denver (DEN), Chicago O’Hare (ORD), Newark (EWR), Houston (IAH), Guam (GUM) and Honolulu (HNL), Maui (OGG), Kona (KOA) and Lihue (LIH).
Buy-on-board is also available on transcon flights between Newark (EWR), Boston (BOS), New York-JFK and San Francisco (SFO) and Los Angeles (LAX).
It’s important to note that you will need to prepare ahead of time by saving a payment method to your United account for contactless payments onboard. Visit united.com or United’s mobile app to see available options for your flight.
This post includes additional reporting from TPG’s Zach Griff and Benji Stawski.
Featured photo courtesy of United Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees