United Airlines Bets on Japan With More Guam Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines is swapping Hong Kong for more flights to Japan from its Guam hub this fall.
The Chicago-based Star Alliance carrier will end service to Hong Kong (HKG) from Guam (GUM) with on Oct. 27, United spokesman Jonathan Guerin says. The Boeing 737-700 aircraft currently flown on that route will be used to boost capacity on routes to secondary Japanese markets, he adds, declining to name any specific cities.
The move is part of United’s continuous review of its network and not related to the addition of a second daily flight to Hong Kong from San Francisco (SFO) that begins the same day, says Guerin.
United is the largest carrier in Guam with nearly a 45% share of passengers in 2018, US Department of Transportation data via Diio by Cirium shows. The airline is scheduled to increase capacity at the airport by 5.9% this year.
The airline serves four destinations in Japan from Guam: Fukuoka (FUK), Nagoya (NGO), Osaka Kansai (KIX) and Tokyo Narita (NRT). The first three cities could be considered “secondary” destinations compared to Tokyo.
Featured image by Edward Russell, TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees