United Airlines Bets on Japan With More Guam Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines is swapping Hong Kong for more flights to Japan from its Guam hub this fall.
The Chicago-based Star Alliance carrier will end service to Hong Kong (HKG) from Guam (GUM) with on Oct. 27, United spokesman Jonathan Guerin says. The Boeing 737-700 aircraft currently flown on that route will be used to boost capacity on routes to secondary Japanese markets, he adds, declining to name any specific cities.
The move is part of United’s continuous review of its network and not related to the addition of a second daily flight to Hong Kong from San Francisco (SFO) that begins the same day, says Guerin.
United is the largest carrier in Guam with nearly a 45% share of passengers in 2018, US Department of Transportation data via Diio by Cirium shows. The airline is scheduled to increase capacity at the airport by 5.9% this year.
The airline serves four destinations in Japan from Guam: Fukuoka (FUK), Nagoya (NGO), Osaka Kansai (KIX) and Tokyo Narita (NRT). The first three cities could be considered “secondary” destinations compared to Tokyo.
Featured image by Edward Russell, TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.