This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United is adding nearly 150 flights between its hubs and popular spring break destinations for the busy travel season. More specifically, it’s adding 31 flights to 12 islands in the Caribbean, 28 flights to seven cities in Mexico and 27 flights to seven destinations in Central America. In addition, it’s using its Denver hub to add five new temporary routes to four destinations in Florida: Destin (VPS), West Palm Beach (PBI), Pensacola (PNS) and Sarasota (SRQ) and one in Texas, South Padre Island (BRO).
Destin (VPS), Pensacola (PNS) and Sarasota (SRQ) service will operate once a week on Saturdays while flights to West Palm Beach (PBI) will depart on Saturdays and return on Sunday. United will also bring service from Denver to South Padre Island-Brownsville (BRO) in Texas for a Saturday-only flight launching March 9 and lasting through the end of the month.
The airline will be increasing flights to spring break destinations, aka warm-weather cities, over the next few months, as well. These are just temporary one-off flights to already-serviced destinations, however, it could be a good opportunity as award availability may have opened up on routes — meaning you could escape the northern cold for some southern warmth. In total, these destinations will have an increased capacity of 41,000 seats.
You can transfer Chase Ultimate Reward points to United instantly if you do decide to book an award. Economy short-haul awards start from 10,000 miles one-way while all flights longer than 700 miles start at 12,500 miles. Economy awards to Mexico and Central begin at 17,500 miles one-way.
The airline will add flights to international destinations:
- 31 flights to 12 islands in the Caribbean
- 28 additional flights to seven cities in Mexico
- 27 flights to seven destinations in Central America including 16 flights to Costa Rica
- Three flights to Guatemala
- Three flights to Belize
Domestically, these cities will see more service from United:
- Seven additional flights to Phoenix and Tucson, Arizona
- 15 additional flights to 10 cities in Florida
- Eight more flights to four islands in Hawaii
- 10 more flights Colorado ski destinations, including Vail, Crested Butte, Steamboat Springs and Telluride.
Featured image by The Points Guy staff.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards