This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United is adding nearly 150 flights between its hubs and popular spring break destinations for the busy travel season. More specifically, it’s adding 31 flights to 12 islands in the Caribbean, 28 flights to seven cities in Mexico and 27 flights to seven destinations in Central America. In addition, it’s using its Denver hub to add five new temporary routes to four destinations in Florida: Destin (VPS), West Palm Beach (PBI), Pensacola (PNS) and Sarasota (SRQ) and one in Texas, South Padre Island (BRO).
Destin (VPS), Pensacola (PNS) and Sarasota (SRQ) service will operate once a week on Saturdays while flights to West Palm Beach (PBI) will depart on Saturdays and return on Sunday. United will also bring service from Denver to South Padre Island-Brownsville (BRO) in Texas for a Saturday-only flight launching March 9 and lasting through the end of the month.
The airline will be increasing flights to spring break destinations, aka warm-weather cities, over the next few months, as well. These are just temporary one-off flights to already-serviced destinations, however, it could be a good opportunity as award availability may have opened up on routes — meaning you could escape the northern cold for some southern warmth. In total, these destinations will have an increased capacity of 41,000 seats.
You can transfer Chase Ultimate Reward points to United instantly if you do decide to book an award. Economy short-haul awards start from 10,000 miles one-way while all flights longer than 700 miles start at 12,500 miles. Economy awards to Mexico and Central begin at 17,500 miles one-way.
The airline will add flights to international destinations:
- 31 flights to 12 islands in the Caribbean
- 28 additional flights to seven cities in Mexico
- 27 flights to seven destinations in Central America including 16 flights to Costa Rica
- Three flights to Guatemala
- Three flights to Belize
Domestically, these cities will see more service from United:
- Seven additional flights to Phoenix and Tucson, Arizona
- 15 additional flights to 10 cities in Florida
- Eight more flights to four islands in Hawaii
- 10 more flights Colorado ski destinations, including Vail, Crested Butte, Steamboat Springs and Telluride.
Featured image by The Points Guy staff.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that