Celebrate Black History Month with a donation that may earn 5x United miles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This Black History Month, United Airlines and Chase are partnering to help support several nonprofits dedicated to supporting human and civil rights policies, as well as educational opportunities for Black students.
Customers with select co-branded United credit cards can earn a total of five MileagePlus miles per dollar spent on eligible donations by March 15, 2021 (up to $1,000 spent). According to United, you’ll need to charge your donation to the United Explorer Card or United Club Infinite Card in order to be eligible to earn additional miles — 4 and 3.5 bonus miles per dollar spent, respectively.
The airline has identified a total of four charities where donations can earn you bonus miles during this promotion. You can begin your donation via United’s website, or directly with the charities below:
- The Thurgood Marshall College Fund – the country’s largest organization exclusively representing the Black College Community.
- The Leadership Conference Education Fund – an organization that builds public support for laws and policies that promote and protect civil and human rights.
- The NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund – a premier legal organization fighting for racial justice through litigation, advocacy, and public education.
- United Negro College Fund – a non-profit that supports under-represented students looking to continue their education.
United suggests donating directly to a charity’s parent organization in order to guarantee you’ll receive bonus miles — donations to individual chapters may not trigger the bonus. Also note that you’ll need to make your donation by March 15, 2021, though you don’t need to donate all $1,000 at once — any donations up to that total amount will be eligible to earn extra miles.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.