Uber Will Stop Giving Drivers Your Exact Pickup and Drop-Off Locations
Uber announced that it will start obscuring riders’ exact pickup and drop-off locations in its drivers’ logs with a new pilot feature in the app launching soon.
Instead of pinpointing your locations, the app will display a more general location as the pickup/drop-off point.
Under the current version of the app, Uber drivers are given a record of the exact drop-off and pick-up addresses of their riders in their trip history. Even more invasive, riders’ addresses are stored in a driver’s trip history indefinitely– even if a rider deletes their account and data from Uber. Therefore, drivers can look back at a passenger’s address any time by scrolling through the ride history.
In the past, passengers — particularly women — have reported incidents of drivers using information from ride-hailing apps to stalk or harass them.
Uber’s new pilot program will soon begin hiding that information in riders’ trip histories, showing broad areas instead. “Location data is our most sensitive information, and we are doing everything we can do to protect privacy around it,” an Uber spokesperson told Gizmodo. “The new design provides enough information for drivers to identify past trips for customer support issues or earning disputes without granting them ongoing access to rider addresses.”
Uber has not said when the rollout of the new feature will be complete, but the Uber spokesperson told Gizmodo that it should be widely available in “coming months.”
Featured Image of an Uber driver by @Vruln via Twenty20.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.