Uber Will Stop Giving Drivers Your Exact Pickup and Drop-Off Locations
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Uber announced that it will start obscuring riders’ exact pickup and drop-off locations in its drivers’ logs with a new pilot feature in the app launching soon.
Instead of pinpointing your locations, the app will display a more general location as the pickup/drop-off point.
Under the current version of the app, Uber drivers are given a record of the exact drop-off and pick-up addresses of their riders in their trip history. Even more invasive, riders’ addresses are stored in a driver’s trip history indefinitely– even if a rider deletes their account and data from Uber. Therefore, drivers can look back at a passenger’s address any time by scrolling through the ride history.
In the past, passengers — particularly women — have reported incidents of drivers using information from ride-hailing apps to stalk or harass them.
Uber’s new pilot program will soon begin hiding that information in riders’ trip histories, showing broad areas instead. “Location data is our most sensitive information, and we are doing everything we can do to protect privacy around it,” an Uber spokesperson told Gizmodo. “The new design provides enough information for drivers to identify past trips for customer support issues or earning disputes without granting them ongoing access to rider addresses.”
Uber has not said when the rollout of the new feature will be complete, but the Uber spokesperson told Gizmodo that it should be widely available in “coming months.”
Featured Image of an Uber driver by @Vruln via Twenty20.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees