Uber Is Launching the World’s First Submarine Rideshares in the Great Barrier Reef
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ever dreamed of exploring Australia’s Great Barrier Reef in a submarine? A few lucky people will have their dreams fulfilled thanks to a new partnership between Uber and Tourism and Events Queensland. So, if a submarine ride is on your bucket list, you might want to book a last-minute flight to Australia.
Related: The 7 Best Starter Credit Cards
From May 27 until June 18, people in the Queensland towns of Gladstone, Cairns, Port Douglas or Palm Cove will be able to log in to Uber and request a scUber: the world’s first submarine rideshare. Unlike when you’re requesting a normal Uber ride, you won’t enter a destination, but you will get a round-trip ride from your departure point to the embarkation point. The submarine ride will last one hour, after which you’ll board a helicopter for a scenic return trip to the mainland.
The scUber experience will kick off on Heron Island, a coral cay near the Tropic of Capricorn, on May 27 and will move to Agincourt Reef off the coast of Port Douglas in Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef region on June 9.
“In late 2018, consumer research identified that exploring the Great Barrier Reef in a submarine was the most desired future travel experience sought by visitors,” said Leanne Coddington, Tourism and Events Queensland’s CEO, in a statement.
Of course, this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity doesn’t come cheap. The scUber experience costs $1,500 AUD (about $1,032) per person and must be booked for two people at a time, for a cost of $3,000 AUD (about $2,065). It’s for a good cause, though. Uber will donate the value of every scUber ride to Citizens of the Great Barrier Reef, an organization dedicated to protecting and conserving the Great Barrier Reef and other reefs around the world.
The Great Barrier Reef — the largest and longest coral reef system on earth — has been suffering from coral bleaching, but is showing signs of recovery.
“At Uber, we believe good things happen when people move — whether that’s by getting people from A to B in their city, or by making dreams come true experiencing the world’s greatest natural wonder, the Great Barrier Reef,” Susan Anderson, regional general manager for Uber in Australia and New Zealand, said in a statement.
To celebrate the launch, Queensland Tourism and Uber are holding a contest to grant the scUber experience to one lucky winner and a friend from each of the following countries: Canada, the US, France, the UK, New Zealand and Australia. To enter the competition, go to scUberQueensland.com and explain in 25 words of less why you should experience the wonder of the Great Barrier Reef with scUber.
Featured photo courtesy of Tourism and Events Queensland
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.