Uber Is Launching the World’s First Submarine Rideshares in the Great Barrier Reef
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ever dreamed of exploring Australia’s Great Barrier Reef in a submarine? A few lucky people will have their dreams fulfilled thanks to a new partnership between Uber and Tourism and Events Queensland. So, if a submarine ride is on your bucket list, you might want to book a last-minute flight to Australia.
Related: The 7 Best Starter Credit Cards
From May 27 until June 18, people in the Queensland towns of Gladstone, Cairns, Port Douglas or Palm Cove will be able to log in to Uber and request a scUber: the world’s first submarine rideshare. Unlike when you’re requesting a normal Uber ride, you won’t enter a destination, but you will get a round-trip ride from your departure point to the embarkation point. The submarine ride will last one hour, after which you’ll board a helicopter for a scenic return trip to the mainland.
The scUber experience will kick off on Heron Island, a coral cay near the Tropic of Capricorn, on May 27 and will move to Agincourt Reef off the coast of Port Douglas in Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef region on June 9.
“In late 2018, consumer research identified that exploring the Great Barrier Reef in a submarine was the most desired future travel experience sought by visitors,” said Leanne Coddington, Tourism and Events Queensland’s CEO, in a statement.
Of course, this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity doesn’t come cheap. The scUber experience costs $1,500 AUD (about $1,032) per person and must be booked for two people at a time, for a cost of $3,000 AUD (about $2,065). It’s for a good cause, though. Uber will donate the value of every scUber ride to Citizens of the Great Barrier Reef, an organization dedicated to protecting and conserving the Great Barrier Reef and other reefs around the world.
The Great Barrier Reef — the largest and longest coral reef system on earth — has been suffering from coral bleaching, but is showing signs of recovery.
“At Uber, we believe good things happen when people move — whether that’s by getting people from A to B in their city, or by making dreams come true experiencing the world’s greatest natural wonder, the Great Barrier Reef,” Susan Anderson, regional general manager for Uber in Australia and New Zealand, said in a statement.
To celebrate the launch, Queensland Tourism and Uber are holding a contest to grant the scUber experience to one lucky winner and a friend from each of the following countries: Canada, the US, France, the UK, New Zealand and Australia. To enter the competition, go to scUberQueensland.com and explain in 25 words of less why you should experience the wonder of the Great Barrier Reef with scUber.
Featured photo courtesy of Tourism and Events Queensland
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees