This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In November, Uber rolled out its new loyalty program, simply dubbed Uber Rewards. The ride-hailing giant finally joined the ranks of most other large transportation companies, but Uber Rewards was not immediately available to everyone.
Uber’s announced that it’s now opened the program to riders in 17 more cities, making the program available in 25 different areas.
When Uber Rewards began, only select people in the launch cities were eligible to join, but Uber’s told TPG that everyone in these cities should now be able enroll in the program. The only area where not every rider is yet to be eligible for the program is New York City.
Here are the 25 cities ands areas where Uber Rewards is currently available:
New York City
“We’re planning to roll out to the rest of the US soon,” an Uber spokesperson told TPG.
Once signed up, riders will start earning points on every ride which can then be redeemed for Uber credit, and will be able to earn different levels of elite status, all which come with their own set of perks. Lower-level Gold status offers waived cancellation fees in certain cases, while top tier Diamond offers free upgrades to nicer cars.
For those who are just now joining, many riders will instantly be able to earn elite status since Uber is retroactively counting the last six months of activity. So if you had spent $250 on UberX rides over the last six months, you’d earn Gold Status right after signing up.
To enhance your return on Uber spend even more, you’ll want to use a credit card that earns bonus points on travel purchases:
- Chase Sapphire Reserve – 3x Ultimate Rewards points on all travel for a 6% return
- Chase Ink Business Preferred Credit Card – 3x Ultimate Rewards points on all travel up to $150,000 in purchases a year for a 6% return
- Citi Premier Card – 3x ThankYou points on all travel for a 5.1% return
- US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite Card – 3x points for a 4.5% return
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card – 2x Ultimate Rewards points on all travel for a 4% return
The Platinum Card® from American Express offers up to $200 of Uber credit as one of its benefits, although it doesn’t have a bonus category for ride-hailing or general travel purchases. If you haven’t spent anything on Uber in the last six months, the Amex Platinum offers Uber VIP status which awards special benefits to cardholders.
For a detailed rundown of Uber Rewards make sure to read our guide: Uber Launches Its Own Rewards Program — Here’s Everything You Need to Know. For a step-by-step guide on how to earn Uber elite status, read How to Instantly Earn Uber Elite Status.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here
Featured image courtesy of Uber.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees