Uber removing Uber Cash discounts
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Uber just announced that it is removing the promotional discount that customers receive when topping off their Uber Cash account balances.
Uber Cash was introduced in 2018 so customers could preload cash into their Uber wallets to pay for all Uber transactions, including ride-sharing, food delivery and even bike-sharing. This allowed them to budget for their Uber purchases.
Until now customers also received a discount for loading more cash into their accounts — up to 5% off depending on the amount of funds added.
Most accounts have had the following discounts:
- $25 Uber Cash: Pay $24.50 (2% discount)
- $50 Uber Cash: Pay $48.50 (3% discount)
- $100 Uber Cash: Pay $95.00 (5% discount; although some accounts might show only a 4% discount)
Uber’s announcement was sent by email to some customers. It states that the discounts are disappearing of March 9, 2020, although many accounts we’ve checked still have the option to add money with the discount (even though those accounts received the email).
Tip: If you typically use Uber Cash and receive the discount, load up your account now before this option is taken away for good. You can add Uber Cash funds to your account via debit card, credit card, PayPal and Venmo.
Although the Uber Cash discount is going away, you can still maximize your rewards with the Uber Credit Card. This no-annual-fee card will give you a 5% return in the form of Uber Cash for Uber rides, Uber Eats, JUMP bike and scooter rentals. You’ll also earn 3% on travel (including airfare, hotels and vacation rentals from sites such as Airbnb), restaurants and bars.
You might get better value from your Chase Sapphire Reserve® card which earns 3x on travel, which includes ride-sharing services. TPG values Chase Ultimate Rewards points at 2 cents per point, which puts a 6% return on all Uber purchases when using this card.
We’ve reached out to Uber for further comment, and will update this post.
The information for the Uber card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Although these Uber Cash discounts will be disappearing soon, there is still time to load up your account to save money on future rides. But do it fast. Uber Cash funds never expire, so you will not need to worry about using them within a certain time frame. The funds will combine with all of your other Uber rewards, so everything is in one place.
Featured image courtesy of Olly Curtis/Future Publishing via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.