Uber removing Uber Cash discounts
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Uber just announced that it is removing the promotional discount that customers receive when topping off their Uber Cash account balances.
Uber Cash was introduced in 2018 so customers could preload cash into their Uber wallets to pay for all Uber transactions, including ride-sharing, food delivery and even bike-sharing. This allowed them to budget for their Uber purchases.
Until now customers also received a discount for loading more cash into their accounts — up to 5% off depending on the amount of funds added.
Most accounts have had the following discounts:
- $25 Uber Cash: Pay $24.50 (2% discount)
- $50 Uber Cash: Pay $48.50 (3% discount)
- $100 Uber Cash: Pay $95.00 (5% discount; although some accounts might show only a 4% discount)
Uber’s announcement was sent by email to some customers. It states that the discounts are disappearing of March 9, 2020, although many accounts we’ve checked still have the option to add money with the discount (even though those accounts received the email).
Tip: If you typically use Uber Cash and receive the discount, load up your account now before this option is taken away for good. You can add Uber Cash funds to your account via debit card, credit card, PayPal and Venmo.
Although the Uber Cash discount is going away, you can still maximize your rewards with the Uber Credit Card. This no-annual-fee card will give you a 5% return in the form of Uber Cash for Uber rides, Uber Eats, JUMP bike and scooter rentals. You’ll also earn 3% on travel (including airfare, hotels and vacation rentals from sites such as Airbnb), restaurants and bars.
You might get better value from your Chase Sapphire Reserve® card which earns 3x on travel, which includes ride-sharing services. TPG values Chase Ultimate Rewards points at 2 cents per point, which puts a 6% return on all Uber purchases when using this card.
We’ve reached out to Uber for further comment, and will update this post.
The information for the Uber card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Although these Uber Cash discounts will be disappearing soon, there is still time to load up your account to save money on future rides. But do it fast. Uber Cash funds never expire, so you will not need to worry about using them within a certain time frame. The funds will combine with all of your other Uber rewards, so everything is in one place.
Featured image courtesy of Olly Curtis/Future Publishing via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees