You’ll have more ways to use your monthly credits with Uber’s latest update
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Uber announced on Wednesday a slew of new features aimed at improving the travel and shopping experience for users.
First, Uber is partnering with Walgreens to introduce a straightforward way for customers to secure a COVID-19 vaccine and book a ride to their appointment at the same time. As part of that initiative, Uber is providing 10 million free or discounted rides to help fund transportation for customers who may otherwise have difficulty getting to their appointment.
As for day-to-day improvements, Uber’s Reserve feature will begin supporting UberX this summer. Customers can lock in a trip ahead of time and even request a specific driver. Reserve will also be available in a handful of international cities, including London and Paris, along with over 20 airports across the U.S.
Airport pickups will include 60 minutes of wait time and curbside pickup, with the ability for drivers to track your flight.
According to a spokesperson, rental cars booked through Uber will be eligible for credit card insurance coverage.
Another new option, Valet, takes rentals to the next level with on-demand vehicle delivery. It’ll launch in Washington, D.C. in May before rolling out nationwide.
The ride-hailing service is also expanding its Uber Eats offerings. For one, riders will be able to easily add in a stop to pick up restaurant meals and retail items along their route, including groceries and liquor.
And for dedicated Eats orders, customers in more than 20 cities around the world will be able to add on items from a second merchant without an extra delivery fee. You could, for example, pair a food order from a restaurant with a bottle of wine from a liquor store.
The app will also offer the ability to preorder items from merchants when they’re closed, with the option to schedule delivery during business hours.
App improvements will also make it easier to build carts with different merchants at the same time — so you can use Uber Eats to order a meal without losing your grocery shopping list.
Finally, Uber is expanding Eats Pass. One $9.99 monthly membership fee will cover a $0 delivery fee on restaurant, grocery and alcohol purchases, plus 5% off orders over $15 and 10% off up to three Uber rides each month.
When used in the U.S., most of these options should be compatible with various Uber benefits, including the monthly Uber Cash you’ll earn with The Platinum Card® from American Express and American Express® Gold Card (enrollment required; card must be added in Uber app to receive this benefit). Uber Cash cannot yet be used to cover rental cars, but the company is working to add that functionality by this summer.
Uber is also launching a dedicated Savings Hub, displaying all of your discounts and offers on one screen beginning in May.
Featured photo by Olly Curtis/Future via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.