Uber delivers another blow to car services with improved prebooked rides
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Slowly but surely, ride-share services are adapting to a drop in demand during the pandemic, adding tools aimed at boosting revenue during an especially challenging period.
Lyft recently expanded its car-rental service, adding Lyft Rentals access to a handful of new cities, and now Uber is adding an improved prebooked ride option, called Uber Reserve.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The new service rolls out next week, letting customers reserve trips in advance. It’s a step beyond the app’s current “Schedule a Ride” tool, matching riders with drivers — and a locked-in fare — between two hours and 30 days in advance.
At launch, Uber Reserve will be available in Atlanta, Austin, Charlotte, Charleston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, D.C., Fort-Myers/Naples, Houston, Las Vegas, Miami, Milwaukee, Nashville, New Jersey, New York City, New Orleans, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix and Seattle.
Uber Reserve riders will have an additional 15 minutes of waiting time, plus an on-time guarantee — you’ll get $50 in Uber Cash deposited to your account if your car doesn’t arrive as scheduled.
Best of all, Uber Reserve rides in the U.S. should be eligible for up to $200 in annual Uber Cash available with The Platinum Card® from American Express, along with up to $120 in annual Uber Cash ($10 monthly credits per calendar year) you’ll get starting in 2021 with the American Express® Gold Card. Cardholders must add the Gold card to the Uber app to receive the Uber Cash benefit. Enrollment required for select benefits.
The service will initially only be available with Uber Black and Uber SUV rides (or Uber Premier and Premier SUV in some cities), though UberX, Comfort and XL should be added by the end of the year, bringing access to more affordable ride-share options.
Featured photo by Andrew Harrer/Bloomberg via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.