Update, false alarm: Turkish Airlines devalues domestic awards on United, old prices still bookable
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 5/7/2021, 12:45 pm: Thankfully, this is a false alarm. Upon further investigation, Turkish Airlines removed its domestic award chart months ago but kept the same pricing. The prices listed in the article below are for international award tickets within North America, which price higher than U.S. domestic awards.
The author verified this by calling Turkish Airlines to set up a domestic reservation and the old pricing was, indeed, honored. For reference, domestic awards still cost 7,500 miles one-way in economy and 15,000 miles in business class.
That said, the lack of a domestic award chart is still concerning as Turkish Airlines can change domestic award pricing at will.
TPG has reached out to Turkish Airlines for clarification.
This week, Turkish Airlines devalued domestic U.S. award tickets on United Airlines. As reported by Miles to Memories, both economy and domestic first-class award tickets have gone up in price. This no-notice price increase is reflected on the Miles & Smiles Star Alliance award chart.
Thankfully, the price increase isn’t too terrible for most awards, but it’s a hit to the program’s most valuable sweet spot. That said, the changes aren’t showing in Turkish Airlines’ booking engine, so it’s still possible to book at the old award prices for the time being.
Here’s a closer look at the changes.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The updated Turkish Airlines award chart
Under the updated award chart, nonstop award tickets cost 10,000 miles one-way in economy and 15,000 in business class. This is a 2,500-mile increase for economy tickets while business class pricing remains unchanged. The new pricing for non-stop award tickets within North America show on the airline’s “promotional award chart,” which shows the following round-trip prices:
The asterisks notes, “Applicable Mile amount for direct flights with Star Alliance member airlines in the same region.” This is new pricing for non-stop domestic award tickets booked with Turkish miles.
On the other hand, connecting one-way domestic tickets now cost 15,000 miles in economy and 30,000 in business class. This effectively doubles the mileage required for connecting tickets, which is unfortunate for booking connecting flights to Hawaii. These tickets are priced based on the standard Star Alliance award chart. Note that the prices in this award chart are for round-trip tickets.
Old award prices are still bookable
Now for the strange part. Old award chart pricing is still showing on the Turkish Airlines booking engine. For example, you can still book this Denver (DEN) to Minneapolis-Saint Paul (MSP) ticket for 7,500 miles one-way in economy class.
Miles to Memories states that Turkish Airlines’ phone representatives are seemingly unaware of the change. On a recent phone booking, a representative told me that a connecting business class ticket would cost 30,000 miles one-way. After talking with a colleague, the representative later quoted 15,000 miles for the same ticket. This leads me to believe that Turkish Airlines’ call center isn’t trained to quote the new pricing.
I was unable to find United business class award space on the Turkish Airlines website.
Turkish Airlines has changed award chart prices and not updated the booking engine in the past. It could be months before these changes come into effect, if ever. It’s also possible that the new prices haven’t been loaded into Turkish Airlines’ booking platform.
Regardless, this award chart change gives Turkish the option to change award pricing if it chooses to. It’s best to cover your bases and book upcoming domestic awards now while old pricing still shows on the Turkish website.
TPG will keep investigating the changes and update this article when more information is available.
Feature photo by vaalaa / Shutterstock.com
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees