TSA Sets New Records for Number of Passengers Screened in a Single Day
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
To say TSA screeners had a busy week would be an understatement. Granted it was going into a holiday weekend, screeners in two New York City airports set new passenger records.
On Thursday, TSA agents at New York’s La Guardia (LGA) airport screened a record-setting 59,698 passengers in a single day. This surpassed the old record set in 2018 by nearly 1,000 passengers, according to a press release from the agency.
The TSA’s Federal Security Director for LaGuardia Airport, Robert Duffy, said in the release that “officers expected a larger than usual throughput and they remained focused on security procedures to ensure that travelers reached their destinations safely.” Duffy added that he expects the remainder of this spring and into summer to “continue seeing a high volume of passengers”. He advises travelers to get to the airport a full two hours before their flight and listen to any guidance TSA officers provide at the checkpoints to keep the flow of passengers “operating smoothly”.
Thursday was also a busy day for the TSA over at Newark Liberty International (EWR) in New Jersey, where a new airport record was set for screening passengers as well. Agents at EWR saw a record 78,811 passengers screened, with about one-third of those passengers screened between the hours of 4am and 9am. The new record sets the bar almost 2,000 passengers above the previous record set back in June of 2018. Even with the high volume of travelers, the longest wait time reported was 27 minutes, with the overall average for the day coming in at around 12 minutes.
With the summer travel season coming up, the TSA won’t be slowing down anytime soon. These new records should be a signal to anyone flying that it’s going to be a busy summer, so give yourself plenty of time to pass through security at the airport. If you want to hedge yourself against dealing with long lines or long wait times, take a look at TPG‘s guides to CLEAR, TSA Pre-Check and Global Entry. These programs can help make clearing security much easier and go much faster.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees