TSA Sets New Records for Number of Passengers Screened in a Single Day
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
To say TSA screeners had a busy week would be an understatement. Granted it was going into a holiday weekend, screeners in two New York City airports set new passenger records.
On Thursday, TSA agents at New York’s La Guardia (LGA) airport screened a record-setting 59,698 passengers in a single day. This surpassed the old record set in 2018 by nearly 1,000 passengers, according to a press release from the agency.
The TSA’s Federal Security Director for LaGuardia Airport, Robert Duffy, said in the release that “officers expected a larger than usual throughput and they remained focused on security procedures to ensure that travelers reached their destinations safely.” Duffy added that he expects the remainder of this spring and into summer to “continue seeing a high volume of passengers”. He advises travelers to get to the airport a full two hours before their flight and listen to any guidance TSA officers provide at the checkpoints to keep the flow of passengers “operating smoothly”.
Thursday was also a busy day for the TSA over at Newark Liberty International (EWR) in New Jersey, where a new airport record was set for screening passengers as well. Agents at EWR saw a record 78,811 passengers screened, with about one-third of those passengers screened between the hours of 4am and 9am. The new record sets the bar almost 2,000 passengers above the previous record set back in June of 2018. Even with the high volume of travelers, the longest wait time reported was 27 minutes, with the overall average for the day coming in at around 12 minutes.
With the summer travel season coming up, the TSA won’t be slowing down anytime soon. These new records should be a signal to anyone flying that it’s going to be a busy summer, so give yourself plenty of time to pass through security at the airport. If you want to hedge yourself against dealing with long lines or long wait times, take a look at TPG‘s guides to CLEAR, TSA Pre-Check and Global Entry. These programs can help make clearing security much easier and go much faster.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.