Red, White and Blue: Trump Gives First Look at New Air Force One Livery
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
President Trump showed off mock-ups of a new design for Air Force One in an interview with ABC News on Wednesday.
Instead of the current 747-200Bs used to fly the president and designated VC-25A in the US military nomenclature, the new look will fly on modified Boeing 747-8 aircraft which Boeing never delivered to a bankrupt client. The new livery opts for a red, white and blue design, replacing in the iconic sky blue and white look that dates back to the Kennedy administration. Trump also noted that that the newer model is larger than Air Force One’s previous iterations.
“It’s a much bigger plane,” the President said, “it’s a much bigger wing span.”
Boeing’s 747-8, which began flying in 2011, is its newest and biggest version yet of the plane.
Many changes in the new design remain classified as well. During the interview, the president replied: “You know what, there are a couple of secrets I don’t think we’re supposed to be talking about,” when asked for more details on equipment by ABC.
Despite his apparent role in the redesign, Trump will not fly on the updated planes during his time as president. Even if Trump serves a second term, the new presidential jets would not enter service until at least 2024, so he will be out of office before his design takes off.
“I’m doing that for other presidents,” Trump said, “not for me.”
Featured picture of an Air Force One VC-25A by Raymond Boyd, Michael Ochs Archives and Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees