Red, White and Blue: Trump Gives First Look at New Air Force One Livery
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
President Trump showed off mock-ups of a new design for Air Force One in an interview with ABC News on Wednesday.
Instead of the current 747-200Bs used to fly the president and designated VC-25A in the US military nomenclature, the new look will fly on modified Boeing 747-8 aircraft which Boeing never delivered to a bankrupt client. The new livery opts for a red, white and blue design, replacing in the iconic sky blue and white look that dates back to the Kennedy administration. Trump also noted that that the newer model is larger than Air Force One’s previous iterations.
“It’s a much bigger plane,” the President said, “it’s a much bigger wing span.”
Boeing’s 747-8, which began flying in 2011, is its newest and biggest version yet of the plane.
Many changes in the new design remain classified as well. During the interview, the president replied: “You know what, there are a couple of secrets I don’t think we’re supposed to be talking about,” when asked for more details on equipment by ABC.
Despite his apparent role in the redesign, Trump will not fly on the updated planes during his time as president. Even if Trump serves a second term, the new presidential jets would not enter service until at least 2024, so he will be out of office before his design takes off.
“I’m doing that for other presidents,” Trump said, “not for me.”
Featured picture of an Air Force One VC-25A by Raymond Boyd, Michael Ochs Archives and Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.