Watch: Planes Take Direct Hit as Tornado Rips Through Major Turkish Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Parts of southern Europe and the Mediterranean were affected by two separate storm systems late last week. The storm systems brought with them heavy rain, strong winds and even a few tornadoes. And one tornado took direct aim at one of the largest airports in Turkey, Antalya Airport (AYT). Multiple videos taken at the airport show the tornado touching down, tracking across the busy airfield. Various sources are reporting that the tornado damaged aircraft, ground equipment and injured 12 passengers waiting to board an aircraft via airstairs.
The following video was uploaded to YouTube by flying high 737. The video was taken from inside the passenger terminal at Antalya Airport. A thin funnel cloud can be seen extending down from ominous looking clouds. Eventually, the funnel cloud touches down, whipping up debris and moving parked aircraft as it tracks across the airport.
Antalya Airport, located in southwestern Turkey, is by no means a small airport, serving more than 25 million passengers annually. The tornado touched down at the airport in the morning hours on Saturday. Numerous departing flights were canceled while others were delayed more than 10 hours in the wake of the storm. Some arriving flights were delayed more than an hour following instructions to remain in a holding pattern near the airport as the storm passed through the region.
While the majority of the airport’s operations were merely delayed, various sources are reporting that the tornado resulted in a dozen minor injuries. Twelve passengers waiting to board their flight were injured when the tornado took direct aim at their bus as it sat on the ramp. Additionally, two narrow-body passenger jets were damaged by the storm, according to AirLive.net. An Airbus A321 belonging to Onur Air and a Boeing 737 MAX 8 operating for Corendon Airlines were damaged as the tornado tore through the airport.
Tornadic storms in the region are rare and typically do not cause damage. However, local sources have confirmed that hundreds of structures were damaged and two were killed as a result of Saturday’s severe weather. As of midday Sunday, the airport is still experiencing delays, though the delays are not said to be related to Saturday’s storm.
Featured image by Mevlüt Dalaman / severe-weather.eu
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.