This Thai Beach Is Closing ‘Indefinitely’ Due to Overtourism (Update)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update as of 05/11/19: Maya Bay will remain closed for at least another two years, according to Business Insider. The National Park Service says that the closure, which began back in 2018, is helping the area recover from damage caused by the massive number of tourists who flocked to the beach.
The good news is that the National Park Service says it’s seeing improvements in the area, such as black tip sharks returning to the bay — a sign that the biodiversity of the area is on the rise. The National Park Service is also looking into putting systems in place to limit the number of tourists and boat traffic that will be allowed to enter the bay once they deem the area recovered enough to reopen.
Remember that beach from “The Beach” that was closed for the past four months? Well, we have some not-so-sunny news: It’s closing indefinitely.
Maya Bay in Thailand was made popular from the 2000 Leonardo DiCaprio film — so popular that officials closed it from June to September to repair some of the damage to coral reefs around the Phi Phi islands due to tourism. It was originally just supposed to be closed for a few months, although some were hoping for a more permanent option such as this one.
This week, officials from Thailand’s Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP) said “The ecosystem and the beach’s physical structure have yet returned to its full condition,” said the letter, in Thai, adding that they would extend the closure from October onward “until natural resources return to normal.”
While Thailand regularly closes beaches, national parks and islands due to weather and ecological recovery, this is the first time it’s happened in Maya Bay, reports CNN.
Tourism was so popular there that visitor numbers multiplied by the minute as boats trickled in throughout the day. The DNP also stated it expected to see a whopping 2.5 million tourists at the bay this year.
Featured image courtesy of Getty.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees