This New App Is Enabling More Delta Flights to Depart on Time
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve noticed a bit less chitchat and a little more screen time by crew members while boarding a Delta flight, that’s intentional. Quietly, the airline has rolled out a new app and communication platform dubbed Flight Family Communication, enabling employees assigned to a specific flight to “have the ability to communicate directly with one another about the status of dozens of tasks and customer service items required before departure.”
In some ways, it’s Delta taking the best of a communications platform like Slack and an issues management tool like Jira to create a proprietary system for managing the complexities of flight operations. Pretty much every aspect of getting a flight out on time is fair game on the tool: catering, cleaning, fueling, accounting for carry-on and checked bags, inspecting aircraft, etc.
The real-time digital conversation stream is visible to pilots on electronic flight bag tablets, to flight attendants via handheld SkyPro devices, and on desktop platforms for gate agents, flight dispatchers, system operations managers and Airport Customer Service Tower personnel. It provides each with shared awareness from their own work spaces in the airport or around the aircraft about the status of pre-flight activities, instead of relying on word of mouth, radios and jetway phones to relay information through multiple people — an antiquated process that airlines have been beholden to for decades.
Initial tests of Flight Family Communication resulted in a “45 percent decrease in the amount of time employees spent traversing the jet bridge to talk with one another during pre-departure.” Flight attendants and gate agents, for example, are now able to message directly with each other about whether overhead bin space is reaching capacity for carry-on bags, or if there are two people with the same seat assignment, and address each more quickly with minimal disruption to customers.
Since Flight Family launched this summer across Delta’s network, about 50% of all Delta departures have benefitted. In that time, Delta has seen a “65 percent jump in its ability to depart on time when a team has less than the minimum allotted time to push out a flight.” In other words, if IROPS or weather throws a wrench in things and delays an aircraft arrival, this system has enabled Delta to recover and get that aircraft back on schedule for the remainder of the day. Collectively, across its entire system, that kind of improvement can lead to big upticks in on-time performance.
On an average day, approximately 11,000 messages are sent using the platform. During days when the operation is impacted heavily by weather, for example, usage has jumped to more than 14,000.
The tool joins Delta’s growing technology tool belt, including a revamped Flight Weather Viewer app that’s enabling pilots to better detect and dodge turbulence. For an inside look at what Delta is doing to keep its operations running smoothly, check out our behind-the-scenes tour of the carrier’s Atlanta-based TechOps facility.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees