This Is the Best Time to Book Summer Travel and Actually Save Money
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Are you a travel procrastinator? While it may only be April, it’s time to finalize where you’re traveling this summer. According to price-analysis data released by Hipmunk, the best time to book your summer travel is this week, April 23-29, if you want to save big.
According to Hipmunk’s report, US travelers can save up to 12% on domestic travel for June, July and August if they book this week compared to those who wait until mid-June. Per the chart below, the average domestic flight will cost $279 this week, with prices increasing to $316 by mid-June.
Overall, domestic airfare prices for summer travel are up 4% compared to last year. For holiday domestic travel, specifically Memorial Day and the Fourth of July, travelers can save up to 16% if they book now. According to the data, 8% of all summer bookings are for the Fourth of July holiday. Hipmunk shows that by booking this week, you can save up to 14% on Independence Day airfare, and booking Memorial Day flights this week can save you up to 16%.
Some international airfare is also cheaper to book now. Tickets to Singapore, for example, are 30% cheaper for summer 2018 than they were in 2017, and flights to Hamburg, Germany, are 25% lower.
Hipmunk also recently introduced a new search functionality that has a mileage-earning feature so users can see how many miles they can expect to earn from a flight. Keep in mind: If you can’t book a summer flight this week, Hipmunk recommends following the general rule of booking your travel three weeks in advance to save up to 14%.
Featured image of beach in Tahiti by levente bodo / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees