This Is the Best Time to Book Summer Travel and Actually Save Money
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Are you a travel procrastinator? While it may only be April, it’s time to finalize where you’re traveling this summer. According to price-analysis data released by Hipmunk, the best time to book your summer travel is this week, April 23-29, if you want to save big.
According to Hipmunk’s report, US travelers can save up to 12% on domestic travel for June, July and August if they book this week compared to those who wait until mid-June. Per the chart below, the average domestic flight will cost $279 this week, with prices increasing to $316 by mid-June.
Overall, domestic airfare prices for summer travel are up 4% compared to last year. For holiday domestic travel, specifically Memorial Day and the Fourth of July, travelers can save up to 16% if they book now. According to the data, 8% of all summer bookings are for the Fourth of July holiday. Hipmunk shows that by booking this week, you can save up to 14% on Independence Day airfare, and booking Memorial Day flights this week can save you up to 16%.
Some international airfare is also cheaper to book now. Tickets to Singapore, for example, are 30% cheaper for summer 2018 than they were in 2017, and flights to Hamburg, Germany, are 25% lower.
Hipmunk also recently introduced a new search functionality that has a mileage-earning feature so users can see how many miles they can expect to earn from a flight. Keep in mind: If you can’t book a summer flight this week, Hipmunk recommends following the general rule of booking your travel three weeks in advance to save up to 14%.
Featured image of beach in Tahiti by levente bodo / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.