This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Are you a travel procrastinator? While it may only be April, it’s time to finalize where you’re traveling this summer. According to price-analysis data released by Hipmunk, the best time to book your summer travel is this week, April 23-29, if you want to save big.
According to Hipmunk’s report, US travelers can save up to 12% on domestic travel for June, July and August if they book this week compared to those who wait until mid-June. Per the chart below, the average domestic flight will cost $279 this week, with prices increasing to $316 by mid-June.
Overall, domestic airfare prices for summer travel are up 4% compared to last year. For holiday domestic travel, specifically Memorial Day and the Fourth of July, travelers can save up to 16% if they book now. According to the data, 8% of all summer bookings are for the Fourth of July holiday. Hipmunk shows that by booking this week, you can save up to 14% on Independence Day airfare, and booking Memorial Day flights this week can save you up to 16%.
Some international airfare is also cheaper to book now. Tickets to Singapore, for example, are 30% cheaper for summer 2018 than they were in 2017, and flights to Hamburg, Germany, are 25% lower.
Hipmunk also recently introduced a new search functionality that has a mileage-earning feature so users can see how many miles they can expect to earn from a flight. Keep in mind: If you can’t book a summer flight this week, Hipmunk recommends following the general rule of booking your travel three weeks in advance to save up to 14%.
Featured image of beach in Tahiti by levente bodo / Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards