Hipmunk’s New Flight Search Tool Shows Mileage Earning, Baggage Fees and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Using a flight search engine is a great way to compare prices across carriers, but results on many can leave out some of the most important details. Today, Hipmunk announced that it’s adding improved functionalities to its website that will give travelers more information when searching for flights than ever before.
Now, meta-OTA Hipmunk displays flight-specific details and amenities when conducting a search on the website. While some search engines like Google Flights already display many details like legroom and what type of aircraft you’ll fly, Hipmunk goes a step beyond that by allowing users to filter these categories.
With the latest update, travelers can customize a few new things with the search engine. The first is the ability to search by fare type. Think basic economy vs. standard economy vs. business class, with the ability to see what’s included in each ticket type.
The second and probably most exciting feature is that you can now see how many miles you can expect to earn from a flight (if you don’t have status on an airline). This can cut down the time spent searching for a flight and calculating how many miles you’ll earn, as you previously would have to click through to an airline’s website to get that information. Note that if you have elite status with an airline it may affect the number of award miles you earn.
“We’re showing the number of frequent flyer miles you can earn — the first of its kind — alongside all the other information travelers need,” Hipmunk CEO Adam Goldstein said in a press release.
In addition to fare class and mileage earning, you can also filter by amenities — if there’s a USB power outlet, how much legroom there is and what the in-flight entertainment situation is like. Wi-Fi availability and whether or not its free can be easily found, too.
And for AvGeeks, you can even search by aircraft type, and Hipmunk displays pictures of the aircraft’s interior. So, you’ll best be able to see what a window or aisle seat will look like in a particular cabin.
While not everything that Hipmunk has added is new, the mileage earning feature and the ability to filter based on categories, such as amenities and bag fees, makes it a valuable tool when searching for flights.
Featured image by Scyther5 / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees