Hipmunk’s New Flight Search Tool Shows Mileage Earning, Baggage Fees and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Using a flight search engine is a great way to compare prices across carriers, but results on many can leave out some of the most important details. Today, Hipmunk announced that it’s adding improved functionalities to its website that will give travelers more information when searching for flights than ever before.
Now, meta-OTA Hipmunk displays flight-specific details and amenities when conducting a search on the website. While some search engines like Google Flights already display many details like legroom and what type of aircraft you’ll fly, Hipmunk goes a step beyond that by allowing users to filter these categories.
With the latest update, travelers can customize a few new things with the search engine. The first is the ability to search by fare type. Think basic economy vs. standard economy vs. business class, with the ability to see what’s included in each ticket type.
The second and probably most exciting feature is that you can now see how many miles you can expect to earn from a flight (if you don’t have status on an airline). This can cut down the time spent searching for a flight and calculating how many miles you’ll earn, as you previously would have to click through to an airline’s website to get that information. Note that if you have elite status with an airline it may affect the number of award miles you earn.
“We’re showing the number of frequent flyer miles you can earn — the first of its kind — alongside all the other information travelers need,” Hipmunk CEO Adam Goldstein said in a press release.
In addition to fare class and mileage earning, you can also filter by amenities — if there’s a USB power outlet, how much legroom there is and what the in-flight entertainment situation is like. Wi-Fi availability and whether or not its free can be easily found, too.
And for AvGeeks, you can even search by aircraft type, and Hipmunk displays pictures of the aircraft’s interior. So, you’ll best be able to see what a window or aisle seat will look like in a particular cabin.
While not everything that Hipmunk has added is new, the mileage earning feature and the ability to filter based on categories, such as amenities and bag fees, makes it a valuable tool when searching for flights.
Featured image by Scyther5 / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.