This Fitness Retreat Is Designed to Give Back
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Want to join a fitness retreat that’s as good for you as it is for the world? Last May, personal trainer and FITNUT founder Josh Grimm launched fitness retreats for the LGBTQ community. In addition to twice-daily workouts, private excursions, seed-to-table meals and upscale resorts, the retreats also give back to local residents.
“I developed a passion for [fitness] when I was traveling in Southeast Asia,” Grimm told TPG. “I started volunteering with a couple of organizations in Cambodia, and it inspired me to be a better person.”
Now, seven years later, Grimm is busy designing elevated fitness retreats that mix stunning destinations with philanthropy and — of course — plenty of sweat.
During his upcoming Mallorca retreat in October, for example, participants will mix high-intensity workouts with exclusive vineyard tours and a luxury stay at the 15th-century Son Julia Country House and Spa.
“I like to [work] with the landscape available,” Grimm said, explaining how a beach workout might feature sand bags filled onsite. And if mountains punctuate the scenery, participants should probably expect to hike up them.
For the first time, Grimm will also be organizing a local volunteer experience, available to all interested members of the retreat.
“The [volunteer or service work] changes based on the needs of the particular community,” Grimm said.
What’s more, a percentage of all the proceeds from the fitness retreat will go to the largest LGBTQ civil rights advocacy group in the US, the Human Rights Campaign.
Can’t make it to Mallorca next month? Grimm’s next retreat will be in Palm Springs, California, in February — and plans are already in the works for retreats in Costa Rica and either Greece or Thailand later in 2019. All of them will be exclusively for LGBTQ travelers.
“As a proud gay man that has always been comfortable with his sexuality … I’m well aware that is not the case for all members of the LGBTQ community,” Grimm said. “I wanted to combine my biggest passions — travel, fitness, service charity work and helping others along their personal journeys of self-fulfillment — into one shared experience of like-minded [people]. I don’t have these retreats just to be a coach, but rather, a leader.”
To join a FITNUT retreat, reservations can be made through Ketanga Fitness.
Feature image courtesy of Dennis Fischer Photography / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.