This Fitness Retreat Is Designed to Give Back
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Want to join a fitness retreat that’s as good for you as it is for the world? Last May, personal trainer and FITNUT founder Josh Grimm launched fitness retreats for the LGBTQ community. In addition to twice-daily workouts, private excursions, seed-to-table meals and upscale resorts, the retreats also give back to local residents.
“I developed a passion for [fitness] when I was traveling in Southeast Asia,” Grimm told TPG. “I started volunteering with a couple of organizations in Cambodia, and it inspired me to be a better person.”
Now, seven years later, Grimm is busy designing elevated fitness retreats that mix stunning destinations with philanthropy and — of course — plenty of sweat.
During his upcoming Mallorca retreat in October, for example, participants will mix high-intensity workouts with exclusive vineyard tours and a luxury stay at the 15th-century Son Julia Country House and Spa.
“I like to [work] with the landscape available,” Grimm said, explaining how a beach workout might feature sand bags filled onsite. And if mountains punctuate the scenery, participants should probably expect to hike up them.
For the first time, Grimm will also be organizing a local volunteer experience, available to all interested members of the retreat.
“The [volunteer or service work] changes based on the needs of the particular community,” Grimm said.
What’s more, a percentage of all the proceeds from the fitness retreat will go to the largest LGBTQ civil rights advocacy group in the US, the Human Rights Campaign.
Can’t make it to Mallorca next month? Grimm’s next retreat will be in Palm Springs, California, in February — and plans are already in the works for retreats in Costa Rica and either Greece or Thailand later in 2019. All of them will be exclusively for LGBTQ travelers.
“As a proud gay man that has always been comfortable with his sexuality … I’m well aware that is not the case for all members of the LGBTQ community,” Grimm said. “I wanted to combine my biggest passions — travel, fitness, service charity work and helping others along their personal journeys of self-fulfillment — into one shared experience of like-minded [people]. I don’t have these retreats just to be a coach, but rather, a leader.”
To join a FITNUT retreat, reservations can be made through Ketanga Fitness.
Feature image courtesy of Dennis Fischer Photography / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees