Thief Swipes $9,000 at Rome Airport Security
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The security check point in airports is normally a hectic place. Pulling out your belongings and putting them on display is normally one of the most stressful parts of air travel for most passengers. One passenger recently learned that keeping an eye on your items — the best you can anyway — is always a good idea.
On Dec. 8, a passenger-turned-brazen-thief swiped $9,000 off of the security belt at Leonardo da Vinci–Fiumicino (FCO) airport in Rome. The fact that the act took place in an area with a high concentration of video cameras didn’t seem to faze the thief at all. The cash, which was in envelopes on the conveyer belt, was for medical expenses for a member of the victim’s family.
CCTV video released by the Italian police on Twitter clearly shows the thief — a man in a white shirt — pick up the cash as it rolls by while waiting on his own items. The victim — a man wearing a pink shirt in the video — then reaches the end of the belt and upon realizing the envelopes are gone starts franticly looking around for his stolen cash. The thief meanwhile gathers his items, puts his belt on, grabs his coat and simply walks away.
The good news for the victim is that the thief didn’t make it very far. He hid the money in a bathroom presumably planning to return and gather his ill-gotten gains it at a later time. The thief was arrested as he attempted to board his flight and has been sentenced to a year in prison for his crime. The cash was recovered and returned to the rightful owner.
Featured image courtesy of TSA.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees