Thief Swipes $9,000 at Rome Airport Security
The security check point in airports is normally a hectic place. Pulling out your belongings and putting them on display is normally one of the most stressful parts of air travel for most passengers. One passenger recently learned that keeping an eye on your items — the best you can anyway — is always a good idea.
On Dec. 8, a passenger-turned-brazen-thief swiped $9,000 off of the security belt at Leonardo da Vinci–Fiumicino (FCO) airport in Rome. The fact that the act took place in an area with a high concentration of video cameras didn’t seem to faze the thief at all. The cash, which was in envelopes on the conveyer belt, was for medical expenses for a member of the victim’s family.
CCTV video released by the Italian police on Twitter clearly shows the thief — a man in a white shirt — pick up the cash as it rolls by while waiting on his own items. The victim — a man wearing a pink shirt in the video — then reaches the end of the belt and upon realizing the envelopes are gone starts franticly looking around for his stolen cash. The thief meanwhile gathers his items, puts his belt on, grabs his coat and simply walks away.
The good news for the victim is that the thief didn’t make it very far. He hid the money in a bathroom presumably planning to return and gather his ill-gotten gains it at a later time. The thief was arrested as he attempted to board his flight and has been sentenced to a year in prison for his crime. The cash was recovered and returned to the rightful owner.
Featured image courtesy of TSA.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.