These US Airlines Serve the Healthiest Food on Board
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
What’s the deal with airline food? Well, an investigation conducted by a nutrition expert might have just gotten to the bottom of it. Charles Platkin, ‘diet detective’ and executive director of the Hunter College Food Policy Center, has made an official ranking of the top healthiest airline foods in the US and Canada.
Looking at 11 airlines, the quality of inflight meals were scored on a scale of 1 to 5 (with 5 being the most nutritious and 1 at the least). Platkin based his ranking on various criteria including the average amount of calories, transparency of nutritional information, improvement and innovation of the menu and food and water safety.
According to the study, the No. 1 most healthy airline cuisine is served by Alaska Airlines with a 4.25 out of 5 stars. “The clear leader this year, Alaska Airlines purchased Virgin America, (named the healthiest airline over the last few years) and has definitely taken on some of VA’s healthy approach to food,” stated Platkin in his study.
TPG‘s Jessica Puckett flew Alaska in October and found that the healthy food on board — particularly the protein platter — was one of the flight’s highlights.
Alaska also took TPG’s top spot for the best overall airline in 2018 for the second consecutive year.
At the bottom of the list, we have Frontier Airlines. The budget airliner pulled an abysmal score of .85 out of 5 Stars and also received what Platkin penned as the “Shame on You” award. Most issues with Frontier’s ranking had to do with a lack of transparency. “Frontier’s communications team didn’t do a great job responding,” said Platkin. “We reached out multiple times before we finally received confirmation that nothing had changed on the airline’s menu since 2017. Additionally, Frontier did not answer the food and water safety questions.”
The rest of the ranking goes as follows:
- Alaska Airlines (4.25 stars)
- Delta (3.7 stars)
- JetBlue (3.55 stars)
- Air Canada (3.45 stars)
- American Airlines (3 stars)
- United Airlines (2.75 stars)
- Hawaiian Airlines (2.65 stars)
- Allegiant Airlines (2.1 stars)
- Southwest Airlines (1.6 stars)
- Spirit Airline (1.1 stars)
- Frontier Airlines (0.85 stars)
To check out the study for yourself, click here.
Featured image by Aureliy via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees