These Cities Had the Most Bed Bug Infestations in 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The holidays around the corner, and that means we’re about to enter peak travel-time in the US. With plane tickets, booking accommodations, family and friends — the last thing you want to worry about is if your hotel is infested with bed bugs. Luckily, Terminix (one of the largest pest control companies in the world) has compiled a list of the most bug-infested cities across the US. If you want (to try) to protect yourself from these creepy crawlers on your next vacation, it might be best to avoid these cities. Or, perhaps, proceed with caution.
With 300 branches across the country, Terminix identified 25 cities where residents needed the highest number of bed-bug control services.
Terminix looked at data across 300 of its branches throughout the US between Oct. 2017 and Sept. 2018. From this, the company was able to identify the top 25 cities that had to contact bed-bug control services this year. Take a look:
Topping the list is Cleveland, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Indianapolis and Cincinnati. It’s no surprise that the bed bugs are consistently found all throughout the country, as they are known “hitchhikers” and can cling on to suitcases, clothes, and even find their way aboard airplanes. Just yesterday a woman moved forward with a lawsuit against the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim for renting her a parasite infested room, and Orlando isn’t even on the list.
If you find yourself struggling to avoid these pesky mites, look no further. Here is our guide to avoiding bed bugs. Sleep tight!
Featured image by dblight via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.