These Cities Had the Most Bed Bug Infestations in 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The holidays around the corner, and that means we’re about to enter peak travel-time in the US. With plane tickets, booking accommodations, family and friends — the last thing you want to worry about is if your hotel is infested with bed bugs. Luckily, Terminix (one of the largest pest control companies in the world) has compiled a list of the most bug-infested cities across the US. If you want (to try) to protect yourself from these creepy crawlers on your next vacation, it might be best to avoid these cities. Or, perhaps, proceed with caution.
With 300 branches across the country, Terminix identified 25 cities where residents needed the highest number of bed-bug control services.
Terminix looked at data across 300 of its branches throughout the US between Oct. 2017 and Sept. 2018. From this, the company was able to identify the top 25 cities that had to contact bed-bug control services this year. Take a look:
Topping the list is Cleveland, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Indianapolis and Cincinnati. It’s no surprise that the bed bugs are consistently found all throughout the country, as they are known “hitchhikers” and can cling on to suitcases, clothes, and even find their way aboard airplanes. Just yesterday a woman moved forward with a lawsuit against the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim for renting her a parasite infested room, and Orlando isn’t even on the list.
If you find yourself struggling to avoid these pesky mites, look no further. Here is our guide to avoiding bed bugs. Sleep tight!
Featured image by dblight via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.