There’s a Jazz Festival in a Norwegian Town That’s Famous for Its Views of the Northern Lights
File this one under one of the coolest things we’ve ever heard of… literally: There’s a jazz festival in the middle of the arctic circle, in a Norwegian town called Longyearbyen, which is known for its views of the Northern Lights. Since 1998, jazz enthusiasts and world travelers have flocked to Polarjazz, and for good reason.
As if jazz music weren’t soothing enough, Polarjazz takes place in the middle of the “polar night” — meaning you’ll be in darkness the entire time. In fact, according to Cecilia Blomdahl of Arctic Travel Concepts, the town is slowly coming off pitch black dark season and moving “into a month of blue.” Imagine standing around listening to music while the world arounds you turns blue?
This year’s Polarjazz will take place from Jan. 31 to Feb. 3. You can find more information on the festival’s website here, but we should warn you that you might want to brush up on your Norwegian first. To get there, we recommend flying to Oslo (OSL) and then connecting onto Svalbard (LYR) on SAS.
The Norwegian town, Longyearbyen, is also home to the northernmost brewery and settlement on the planet. The town itself is Svalbard’s largest settlement; Svalbard, of course, is known for the Global Seed Vault, which in the case of catastrophe, represents the world’s biggest chance for longterm survival. TPG himself went to visit it last year. Those are some pretty solid accolades if you ask us.
If you’re headed to the festival, just don’t forget to pack your winter jacket. Your really, really heavy winter jacket.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.