There’s a Jazz Festival in a Norwegian Town That’s Famous for Its Views of the Northern Lights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
File this one under one of the coolest things we’ve ever heard of… literally: There’s a jazz festival in the middle of the arctic circle, in a Norwegian town called Longyearbyen, which is known for its views of the Northern Lights. Since 1998, jazz enthusiasts and world travelers have flocked to Polarjazz, and for good reason.
As if jazz music weren’t soothing enough, Polarjazz takes place in the middle of the “polar night” — meaning you’ll be in darkness the entire time. In fact, according to Cecilia Blomdahl of Arctic Travel Concepts, the town is slowly coming off pitch black dark season and moving “into a month of blue.” Imagine standing around listening to music while the world arounds you turns blue?
This year’s Polarjazz will take place from Jan. 31 to Feb. 3. You can find more information on the festival’s website here, but we should warn you that you might want to brush up on your Norwegian first. To get there, we recommend flying to Oslo (OSL) and then connecting onto Svalbard (LYR) on SAS.
The Norwegian town, Longyearbyen, is also home to the northernmost brewery and settlement on the planet. The town itself is Svalbard’s largest settlement; Svalbard, of course, is known for the Global Seed Vault, which in the case of catastrophe, represents the world’s biggest chance for longterm survival. TPG himself went to visit it last year. Those are some pretty solid accolades if you ask us.
If you’re headed to the festival, just don’t forget to pack your winter jacket. Your really, really heavy winter jacket.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees