The US Doesn’t Make List of Top 120 Safest Countries in the World
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The United States isn’t among the top 100 safest countries in the world — in fact, it isn’t even among the top 120 safest.
That is what new rankings from the Institute for Economics and Peace say. The organization released its 2018 Global Peace Index, which ranks 163 independent countries and territories according to their levels of peacefulness.
The report analyzes 23 qualitative and quantitative indicators and measures the state of peace based on cultural, economic and political factors, such as ongoing domestic and international conflict and militarization.
Clocking in as the safest country is Iceland for the tenth year in a row, followed by New Zealand, Austria, Portugal and Denmark.
Europe was ranked the most peaceful region — although its overall rating fell for the third straight year due to increasing political instability and terrorism. The index found that the overall global level of peace has also declined for the fourth year in a row.
Bringing up the back half of the list is the US, ranking at No. 121. The report says it’s the US’ worst level on the index since 2012, and it’s the second year in a row the country has had a decline in overall peace due to several key factors, including incarceration rate, external conflicts, weapons exports and its arsenal of nuclear and other heavy weapons.
In another analysis, the Gallup 2018 Global Law and Order report, 142 countries were ranked based on residents’ sense of safety and security and their personal experiences with crime and law enforcement. Singapore took the top spot on that list, followed by Norway and Iceland — trailed by the US at No. 35.
Featured image of the Blue Lagoon in Iceland by Jeff Sheldon on Unsplash.
*This post has been updated to reflect that Iceland has been ranked safest country for 10 years, not eight.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees