The UK Wants Its Flyers to Stop Getting so Drunk
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Companies across the travel industry in the UK are teaming up to raise awareness for the consequences of drinking too much alcohol when flying. The campaign, coined “One Too Many,” launched today on social media and 10 pilot airports across the UK.
The goal is to remind passengers that there are downsides to consuming too much alcohol, citing denial of boarding, plane diversions (and the often high fines involved in causing a plane to divert), up to two-year prison sentences and even being banned from an airline.
The campaign is convening associations in a way that no other campaign of its kind has. The UK Travel Retail Forum (UKTRF), the Airports Operators Association (AOA), the International Air Transport Association (IATA) and Airlines UK (AUK) are all supporting the new initiative.
“One Too Many” was brought to life by UK Aviation Minister Baroness Sugg and will be visible on Facebook and Instagram as well as select airports in the UK, including Manchester Airports Group (MAN, EMA, STN), AGS Airports (ABZ, GLA, SOU), Bristol Airport (BRS), Birmingham Airport (BHX), Newcastle Airport (NCL) and Gatwick Airport (LGW).
At the airports, the campaign will be visible “across digital screen signage, POS display, F&B retailer notices and through a dedicated police leaflet,” according to the International Air Transport Association (IATA).
“Disruptive passengers have the potential to ruin other people’s flights, and this campaign is an important new step to ensure all passengers are aware of the consequences they face if they behave disruptively after drinking before or on board a flight,” Sugg said at the program’s launch. “I am pleased to see the industry come together to ensure the experiences at our airports and on flights remain positive for everyone.”
TPG has reported on several cases of intoxicated passengers causing diversions from the UK, so it’s no surprise that the issue is trying to be halted. Ryanair was even pushing for an initiative to end morning drinking at airports as well as overall restrictions on drinking at airports.
Featured image by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees